AUSTIN, TX (July 20, 2021) – Districts 10 and 7 will be the focus of second and third public input forums hosted by the Independent Citizens Redistricting Commission (ICRC) on Thursday, July 22 and Saturday, July 24 respectively.
Members of the public are invited to an in person public meeting about Austin's District 10. At this forum, they will hear from the ICRC and the work being done on the new City Council district maps. The public will have an opportunity to provide public comment and feedback on the city's current district map. The forum will take place at 6-8 p.m., Thursday, July 22 at Dell Jewish Community Center, 7300 Hart Lane, Austin, TX 78731.
On Saturday, July 24 from 11 a.m.-1 p.m. commissioners will host another public comment forum focusing on District 7 at the Northwest Recreation Center, 2913 Northland Dr., Austin, TX 78757.
Along with census data, publicly submitted comments will be used to assist the commission when it begins drawing district boundaries between March 2021 through November 2021. The focus of public testimony is to receive information about the unique characteristics of communities of interest from those most familiar with their neighborhoods to help the commission determine areas that should remain intact and/or be grouped together in districts. The goal is to have a new district map approved for the November 2022 election.
Public input forums will be recorded and videos of the meetings will be available after the meetings here: http://www.austintexas.gov/page/watch-atxn-live. Past meetings and agendas can be viewed on the commission's website at www.austintexas.gov/cityclerk/boards_commissions/meetings/116_1.htm
Interpretation or translation services will be available free of charge by advance request in Spanish, Chinese or Vietnamese. Call 311 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to request these services 48 hours in advance of a forum.
To find City Council Districts in Austin visit this link and type in an address.
A list of upcoming ICRC public forums:
- Tuesday, July 22, 2021, 6-8 p.m., District 10 Community at Dell Jewish Community Center, 7300 Hart Lane, Austin, TX 78731.
- Saturday, July 24, 2021, 11 a.m.-1 p.m., District 7 at Northwest Recreation Center, 2913 Northland Dr., Austin, TX 78757.
- Tuesday, July 27, 2021, 6-8 p.m., District 8 at Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center, 4801 La Crosse Ave., Austin, TX 78739.
- Saturday, July 31, 2021, 2-4 p.m., District 4 at Gus Garcia Recreation Center, 1201 E. Rundberg Lane, Austin, TX 78753.
- Tuesday, August 3, 2021, 6-8 p.m., District 6 at Spicewood Springs Branch Library, 8637 Spicewood Springs Road, Austin, TX 78759.
- Saturday, Aug. 7, 2021, 1-3 p.m., District 3 at Ruiz Branch Library, 1600 Grove Blvd., Austin, TX 78741.
- Tuesday, Aug. 10, 2021, 6-8 p.m., District 2 location pending.
- Saturday, Aug. 14, 2021, 1-3 p.m., District 1 at George Washington Carver Museum and Cultural Center, 1165 Angelina St., Austin, TX 78702.
- Tuesday, Aug. 17, 2021, 6-8 p.m., District 5 at Manchaca Road Library, 5500 Manchaca Road, Austin, TX 78745.
- August TBA Virtual Public Forum
Fourteen community volunteers will serve on the Commission for a ten-year term. One person on the Commission is a college student. Most of the Commission’s work will be during its first year when they draw the city council district boundaries.
Commissioners are: Joshua Blank (District 8), Sara Inés Calderón (D2), Erin Dempsey (D10), Camellia Falcon (D7), Luis Gonzalez (D10, Vice-Chair), Errol Hardin (D1), Shaina Kambo (D9), Prabhu Kannan (D5), Dr. Sterling Lands (D4), Hoang Le (D8), Brigham Morris (D3), Christina Puentes (D7, Chair), Eugene Schneider (D6) and Selina Yee (D1).
The ICRC board will hold its weekly commission meeting via videoconferencing 6 p.m., Wednesday, July 21, 2021.
Login with these credentials: Meeting ID: 923 0025 0133 Passcode: 67uSPc
City Contact: Patricia Fraga, email@example.com, 512-680-1012
Sara Inés Calderón