Our Certification Division certifies qualified firms as Minority-Owned Business Enterprises (MBE), Women-Owned Business Enterprises (WBE), Disadvantaged Business Enterprises (DBE), Airport Concession Disadvantaged Business Enterprise (ACDBE), and Small Business Enterprises (SBE). The division also hosts a monthly pre-certification workshop for business owners interested in pursuing certification.
The City of Austin's Small and Minority Business Resources Department certifies qualified firms as Minority-Owned Business Enterprises (MBE), Women-Owned Business Enterprises (WBE), Disadvantaged Business Enterprises (DBE), Airport Concession Disadvantaged Business Enterprise (ACDBE), and Small Business Enterprises (SBE).
The Certification Division verifies that the minority and/or women business applicant owns, manages, and controls the day-to-day operations of the for-profit business in compliance with the MBE/WBE Procurement Program Ordinance, Chapter(s) 2-9 (A)(B)(C) and (D) of the City Code.
MBE/WBE General Eligibility Requirements:
- 51% owned by socially and economically disadvantaged individual(s) from one of the presumed groups.
- Socially and Economically individual(s) must manage and control the day-to-day operations
- Native American
- A small business as defined by the Small Business Administration's (SBA) Size Standard Guidelines
- Personal Net Worth (PNW) must not exceed $1,828,000 for MBE/WBE certification
- MBE/WBE applicant must have a facility located within the State of Texas for at least 90 days
- Must be a for-profit business
You must register your company as a vendor before beginning the certification process.
- Go to Austin Finance Online to register your business.
- A copy of your W-9 form will be needed to complete your registration.
- Write down your Vendor Registration Number, you will need it for the Certification process.
If you have questions or need password assistance, call Vendor Registration at (512) 974-2018 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Complete the MBE/WBE Certification Application.
- Complete the application online on the CCS portal at https://austintexas.mwdbe.com or click here to download a PDF version of the application.
- Applying online through our CCS portal is the most efficient way to protect your information. Applying online also ensures you receive appropriate reminders, the status of certification(s), and communication from the SMBR Certification Division.
For more information.
- Getting Started Certification Guide (for firms not certified) - click here to download a copy.
- How to use the CCS portal (for certified firms) - click here to download a copy.
- MBE/WBE Personal Net Worth Form - click here to download a copy.
- MBE/WBE Alternate Personal Net Worth Form - click here to download a copy.
- Owners of MBE/WBE-certified firms must apply for recertification every 4 years after the firm’s initial certification by completing an online application on the CCS portal at https://austintexas.mwdbe.com.
- Submit business tax returns to confirm that business size meets SBA industry size requirements.
- Complete Personal Net Worth Statement (PNW) and provide supporting documents, including a complete personal tax return. The owner may be required to submit other information to determine continued eligibility once staff reviews the application.
Small Business Construction Program (SBCP) Eligibility:
Interested firms MUST provide scopes in construction or a related field.
The firm’s size must not exceed $16.5 million in average gross receipts for the past 5-years as established for 238-Specialty Trade Contractors by the Small Business Administration (SBA) and be certified as a Small Business Enterprise (SBE) by the City of Austin.
- Complete the SBE application online at: https://austintexas.mwdbe.com.
- Owner(s) must provide a detailed resume
- Provide 5-years of business tax returns, if applicable
Historically Underutilized Business (HUB) Certification
Please acknowledge interest in HUB certification when completing the Minority/ or Women-Owned Business Enterprise (MBE/WBE) application online. SMBR will review your MBE/WBE application and supporting documentation for HUB consideration with the Comptroller of Public Accounts (CPA) Office.
If you have any questions about Certification, please call (512) 974-7645 or email SMBRCertification@austintexas.gov