What we do
OPERATIONS UPDATE: Effective May 17, 2021, the main court location will be expanding hours of operation to Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday, 8 a.m.-5 p.m. and Thursday 8 a.m.-7 p.m.
Beginning on May 17, 2021
Main Location: 6800 Burleson Road, Building 310, Suite 175
Map to court parking and entry (PDF, 79 KB)
Hours of Operation: Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday, 8 a.m.-5 p.m. and Thursday 8 a.m.-7 p.m.
- All individuals are encouraged to call or email the court to take care of their court business.
- Many options are available that do not require a personal appearance.
The work of the court
The Municipal Court is the judicial branch of local government, the City of Austin. The court commits to administering fair, efficient, and prompt justice. Court services are handled both onsite and online, or by telephone, email, and mail.
The court decides the lowest level criminal offenses in the state of Texas, including traffic, city ordinance, juvenile, and disabled parking.
The court also:
- Processes criminal case appeals
- Collaborates with community court
- Processes citizen complaints
- Presides over bench and jury trials
- Processes parking tickets
- Responds to requests for public information
- Explains options when:
- delinquent cases are sent to the collection agency
- delinquent cases cause a juvenile or minor's driver's license renewal to be denied
- you are accused of a violating class C law in Austin, even if you don't live here
- you can't comply with court orders
Our Youth Services Unit:
- Helps juveniles and their families understand what they need to do to comply with court orders and/or program requirements.
- Provides educational alternative sentencing and deferral options that, if successfully completed, keep a charge off a juvenile’s record.
- Hosts teen court, where all young Austinites can learn hands-on about the justice system.
You can use an online form to request judicial information.
For information about fines, please see the charge codes and fine schedule.
Learn more about Municipal Court's performance and budget.