Live Tobacco-Free Austin
The initiative is housed within Austin Public Health. Its goal is to decrease tobacco use and the number of people exposed to second-hand smoke, and increase access to resources for those trying to quit tobacco.
— Visit the full site on the web at www.Live Tobacco Free Austin.org, on Facebook and Twitter.
1115 Waiver Project: SmokefreeTXT
Significant gaps exist among resistant and hard-to-reach populations in our community. Teens and young adults are especially susceptible to social influences, advertising and marketing. SmokefreeTXT is a free mobile text messaging service for adults and young adults who are trying to quit smoking. The goal of the program is to provide 24/7 encouragement, advice, and tips to help smokers quit smoking, and stay quit. The project uses a variety of strategies to reach this population.
Read more about progress made through the 1115 Waiver Project and Smokefree TXT in this PDF.
Tobacco-free Workplaces and Housing
There are many tobacco-free workplaces and housing located in Austin and Travis County.
Learn more: about tobacco-free workplaces.
Learn more: about smoke-free housing.
Free Help to Quit Tobacco
Just one cigarette can take 11 minutes from your life. Quit now and live healthier.
When can you see the benefits of quitting?
- 20 minutes tobacco-free: Blood pressure and pulse rate drops; body temperature rises toward normal.
- 12 hours tobacco-free: Carbon monoxide level in blood drops to normal; oxygen level rises to normal.
Learn more about the benefits of quitting tobacco, and how to get free help in this PDF.
- SmokefreeTXT is a free, six to eight week cessation program, depending on when you set your quit date. Users can enroll through smokefree.gov/smokefreetxt.
- Texas Quitline offers free and confidential resources, such as nicotine patches, gums, or lozenges, to those who qualify. Call 1-877-YES QUIT (1-877-937-7848) or visit www.yesquit.org.
- Nicotine Anonymous is a 12-step program to achieve abstinence from nicotine. Request a free Starter Kit at 1-877-879-6422 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for local group meetings. Learn more at www.Nicotine-Anonymous.org.