austin public health employee with a child


In partnership with the Austin/Travis County Success By Six Coalition, the City works to ensure families have access to high-quality early learning options that meet their needs. Additionally, the City works with Texas Rising Star 4-Star providers through Workforce Solutions Capital Area Child Care Services (CCS) to provide subsidized child care for eligible families. 

Call 512-972-5555 or fax 512-972-5772 at any time of day to report a disease. Messages are answered within 15 minutes. For more information, see Epidemiology and Disease Surveillance.

Learn about free nutrition or diabetes education classes, available at locations throughout Travis County.

Due to State of Texas Legislation No. SB582

1. Registration is no longer required for food handlers. EHSD will no longer accept applications.
2. Training that is accredited by the State or ANSI is still required for food handlers.

Food Handler Requirements

APH’s public-facing complaint system is an online survey that allows you to file a foodborne illness report when events surrounding your illness are fresh on your mind. When you think that something you ate made you sick (and possibly others), fill out the questions completely to capture as much information as possible to send to your local health department. APH epidemiologists will examine your report, investigate if needed, and capture real-time information about what is going on in your community.

The City of Austin's Office of Vital Records registers births and deaths that occur within the full purpose city limits of Austin. Here is everything you need to get a birth or death certificate at the Office of Vital Records.

Contact  3-1-1 to have graffiti removed on public property. For more information, see Graffiti Removal. If you see graffiti in progress, call 9-1-1.

Vaccinations are available for children (Shots for Tots), adults (Big Shots), persons needing testing or persons having hepatitis. Seasonal flu shots are also available. For an appointment, call 512-972-5520. View information about immunization clinics.

Food establishments in Austin are inspected twice a year to evaluate proper food handling to ensure food safety. Inspection scores are posted online for public review.

To report a problem with rats, contact us at 512-978-0370 or by email. See Vector Control for more information.

The Sexual Health Clinic at 15 Waller Street (RBJ Health Center, 1st Floor) provides evaluation, diagnosis, and treatment of sexually transmitted infections. Schedule a clinic appointment online or call 512-972-5430. Clinic hours are 8 a.m. - 12 p.m. and 1 - 5 p.m. Monday through Friday.

Smoking in public places is prohibited in Austin.  To report violations, call 3-1-1 or complete the Smoking in Public Places Online Complaint Form.  Reports can be made anonymously.

The Neighborhood Centers can help low- and moderate-income families in need with free services, including food assistance, job search help, health screenings, fans, and more.

Public and semi-public pools and spas must be inspected and issued a permit. Complete a Permit and Plan Review Application or call 512-978-0300 for more information.

 The tuberculosis clinic provides evaluation and treatment of clients for latent and active TB disease.

Learn about this free program to start a physical activity group with your family, friends, neighbors, or co-workers.

Participants learn about nutrition and how to stay healthy, and receive food certificates to purchase healthy foods. WIC Services are free to those who are eligible.