AmeriCorps VISTA (Volunteers in Service to America) is a national service program that focuses on projects aiming to alleviate poverty in communities across the country. The City of Austin currently has 22 AmeriCorps VISTA Members serving in departments across the city.
AmeriCorps VISTA Members make a year-long, full-time commitment to build the capacity for programs to efficiently and effectively reach their goals of serving the community, bringing individuals and communities out of poverty. AmeriCorps VISTA Members primarily work on projects and tasks that are considered indirect service; the focus is working to assure projects are sustainable and can reach a larger population of people.
Although work sites are across the City and most AmeriCorps VISTA Members work on separate projects, at times projects will allow for collaboration with other AmeriCorps VISTA Members. The real benefit of this group is the camaraderie among our project’s members. Having a group of fellow AmeriCorps VISTA Members help make the transition and experience of being an AmeriCorps VISTA Member a little bit easier. Your fellow AmeriCorps VISTA Members should be seen as your support network throughout your year of service.
Things to Consider before Applying
- Must be a college graduate
- Commitment to serve for the full year term
- Willing and committed to live on the modest living allowance
- All AmeriCorps VISTA Member candidates must submit to fingerprinting for the required comprehensive Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) criminal history check
- Motivated, passionate, and dedicated to service
AmeriCorps VISTA Benefits
As of August 2021; may vary for future service terms.
- Monthly Stipend - $1466 before taxes (bi-weekly payments of $675)
- Limited Health Benefits
- Does not satisfy the individual responsibility requirement of the Affordable Care Act
- Choice of Education Award or End of Service Stipend
- Segal AmeriCorps Education Award - $6,495
- Post-Service Stipend - $1,800
- Student Loan postponement, or forbearance
- You may be eligible for the postponement, or forbearance, of your student loans.
- Relocation/Settling-In Allowance Costs
- If you are moving more than 50 miles to serve as a VISTA, you are eligible to receive a relocation and settling-in allowance to assist with your moving expenses.
- Close-of-Service Travel
- Travel allowance from your project site back to your home when you complete your year of service.
- Childcare, if eligible.
- Non-competitive eligibility (NCE) status with the federal government.
City of Austin Service Opportunities
Applications open three months before the start date below.
- AmeriCorps VISTA Leader
- African-American Youth Harvest Foundation Technology VISTA
- Age-Friendly Austin Community Engagement Specialist VISTA
- Andy Roddick Foundation - Learn All The Time Network VISTA
- Austin Housing & Planning Data Analysis VISTA
- Austin Nature & Science Center Teen Programs VISTA
- George Washington Carver Museum Education VISTA
- Greater Austin Reading Coalition Literacy Services VISTA
- Youth Initiatives Office Data VISTA
- City of Austin VISTA Leader
- Austin Public Health Community Youth Development
- Andy Roddick Foundation Donation Systems VISTA
- Austin CPIO Community Safety Connector VISTA
- Austin Public Health Ending the HIV Epidemic VISTA
- Austin Public Health Early Childhood
- Dougherty Arts Center - Outreach & Engagement
- Housing & Planning - Displacement Mitigation
- Zilker Botanical Gardens - Community Gardens
- Asian-American Resource Center
- Austin Resource Recovery
VISTA Summer Associates Program
In addition to the traditional 12-month service opportunities listed above, the City of Austin hosts a VISTA Summer Associate Program. This program is a service opportunity for a 9-week duration during the summer and only requires some college experience to be eligible to serve. The Summer Associate VISTAs provide direct service to address the challenges of childhood hunger/nutritional education and the achievement gap in underserved communities experienced over the summer months.
- African American Youth Harvest Foundation
- Austin Public Library
- PARD Carver Museum
- Austin Public Health – WIC
- Austin Public Health – Community Youth Development
- Housing & Planning – Communications
- City of Austin Youth Initiatives - Virtual Summer Internship Program
- Greater Austin Reading Coalition - Tutoring
- Greater Austin Reading Coalition - Tutor Support
How to Apply
- Learn more about the VISTA program:
- Create a profile at:
- Complete your application on the “My AmeriCorps” site.
- Search for the position you are interested in submitting your application.