Certificate of Occupancy (CO)
A Certificate of Occupancy (CO) is a document provided by the City that proves that a structure is habitable based on its legal use and type of property and meets all housing and building codes. Since 1931, all residential buildings in Austin have been required to have a Certificate of Occupancy (CO) for their current use.
- Certificate of Occupancies issued after August 9, 2019, are publicly available on the Austin Build + Connect (AB+C) Portal.
- A residential building that does not have a Certificate of Occupancy may request an Amnesty Certificate of Occupancy by providing proof that the current building use existed on March 1, 1986, and no change of use has occurred since March 1, 1986. Refer to the Amnesty Certificate of Occupancy Application (PDF) for further requirements and information.
How to Request an Existing Certificate of Occupancy
- To request up to 6 Certificates of Occupancies (COs), submit an email to DSDCertificateofOccupancy@austintexas.gov. Be sure to include the address and unit number (if applicable) in your request. Please allow 1 to 5 business days for them to provide responsive information.
- To request 7 or more Certificates of Occupancies (COs), submit a Public Information Request to Public.Information@austintexas.gov. Be sure to include the address and unit number (if applicable) in your request. Under the Public Information Act, governmental entities have 10 business days to provide responsive information.
How to Obtain a New Certificate of Occupancy
For new construction or significant renovations, a Certificate of Occupancy (CO) will be provided upon a successful final inspection. If, for any reason, a CO was not received, please email DSDCertificateofOccupancy@austintexas.gov to request one.
A Temporary Certificate of Occupancy (TCO) may allow a property to be occupied/stocked/furnished before issuing a final Certificate of Occupancy. TCOs are available for both commercial and residential properties.
How to Request a Temporary Certificate of Occupancy
Complete the application
Complete either a commercial or residential application form:
- Commercial Temporary Certificate of Occupancy form (PDF)
- Residential Temporary Certificate of Occupancy form (PDF) - You must receive approval from one of the Residential Inspection Supervisors before we can accept an application and/or apply fees.
Submit your request with our web form
Submit your request for a Temporary Certificate of Occupancy using our web form by clicking the button below:
- We will add the TCO fees to the active trade permits of the project.
- Once those fees are paid, we can apply the fee to the building permit.
- Once the building TCO fee is paid, the TCO inspections may be scheduled. Please consult with your inspector to determine if you need to schedule Occupancy or Stocking inspections.