A Certificate of Occupancy (CO) is a document provided by the City that proves that a structure is habitable based on its legal use and type of property, and meets all housing and building codes. Since 1931, all residential buildings in Austin have been required to have a Certificate of Occupancy (CO) for its current use.

  • For new construction or major renovations, a Certificate of Occupancy (CO) will be provided upon a successful final inspection. If for any reason a CO was not received, please email DSDCertificateofOccupancy@austintexas.gov to request one.
  • Certificate of Occupancies issued after August 9, 2019 are publicly available on the Austin Build + Connect (AB+C) Portal.
  • A residential building that does not have a Certificate of Occupancy may request an Amnesty Certificate of Occupancy by providing proof that the current building use existed on March 1, 1986, and that no change of use has occurred since March 1, 1986. For further requirements and information, refer to the Amnesty Certificate of Occupancy Application.
  • To request up to 6 Certificate of Occupancies (COs), submit an email to DSDCertificateofOccupancy@austintexas.gov. Be sure to include the address and unit number (if applicable) in your request. Please allow 1 to 5 business days for them to provide responsive information.
  • To request 7 or more Certificate of Occupancies (COs), submit a Public Information Request to Public.Information@austintexas.gov Be sure to include the address and unit number (if applicable) in your request. Under the Public Information Act, governmental entities have 10 business days to provide responsive information.