Our division strives to provide helpful programs and resources to guide small business owners.
The BizAid Business Orientation is a no-cost opportunity to meet with business professionals who can provide you with basic information and guidance. Register for a BizAid Business Orientation offered online.
The BizOpen Orientation covers the general development process including zoning, permitting, inspections, events and obtaining a certificate of occupancy. BizOpen serves as a point of contact for new and existing small business owners seeking assistance navigating the Planning and Zoning Department as well as the Development Services Department. Register for a BizOpen Orientation
Individualized BizAid Coaching is available at no cost to existing small business owners to help develop a marketing strategy, find lending assistance, learn to effectively network, or become more competitive with a business plan.
Access our business tools that can assist in gathering information about target markets, industry trends, and customers.
Visit our calendar for a complete list of upcoming classes and events developed to help small business owners develop skills.
Business Skills Certification
The City of Austin Small Business Division has partnered with the University of Texas at Austin Center for Professional Education. Classes are offered in the areas of marketing, social media, human resources, money management, and small business taxes. Complete six of these qualifying small business classes and earn your Business Skills Certificate.
The City of Austin’s Economic Development Department is partnering with Austin Public Health to expand the Healthy Corner Stores Program. This program helps store owners grow their business by increasing sales of healthy food items and is free to join.
The Small Business Preparedness is a resource site to aid and assist businesses in creating a plan for disaster recovery as well as finding help after economic and natural disasters. This site is by no means comprehensive; however, the information contained may meet the immediate needs of your business during your time of preparation and recovery.
Small Business Resources
- Small Business Resource Directory - in this comprehensive directory of non-profit agencies, local, state, and federal governments.
- AtoZdatabases - Directory and marketing database that includes 30 million businesses and 220 million residents.
- BizMiner - Detailed information to help you understand your firm's position related to the financial performance of similar firms in the industry. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 512-974-7800 for a customized report.
- CoStar - Comprehensive commercial real estate database for the local region. Email email@example.com or call 512-974-7800 for a customized report.
- IBISWorld - Local industry research reports to help entrepreneurs make better business decisions. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 512-974-7800 for a customized report.
- SizeUpAustin - Easy-to-use platform that allows you to receive data to help your small business make better decisions around competitive benchmarking, customers, suppliers, marketing, advertising, and demographics.