Almost all the shoreline around Lake Austin is privately owned, which limits bank fishing. Bank access can be found at the Capital of Texas Highway (Loop 360) bridge, at Emma Long Park, Mary Quinlan Park, and Fritz Hughes Park near Mansfield Dam. Two excellent concrete public boat ramps are available: the Walsh Boat Landing, located off Lake Austin Blvd., and a ramp below the Loop 360 bridge. Additional information about fishing in/at Lake Austin can be found on the TPWD website. Emma Long Metropolitan Park is located 6.2 miles off FM 2222 on City Park Road. The park is on the shores of Lake Austin, and consists of a total of 1150 acres, 70 of which are developed. An entrance fee is charged. Local Boating Laws In addition to the Texas Water Safety Act, the City of Austin has established several ordinances for Lake Austin, Lady Bird Lake and Lake Walter E. Long. The purposes of these ordinances are to protect the health and safety of the public using the area lakes.
- All persons operating motorboats on Lake Austin shall stay to the right as they proceed on the lake, except when it is necessary to assist a downed water skier.
- It shall be unlawful for any person to fish from the deck or other portion of any bridge which crosses the Colorado River within the city limits.
- It shall be unlawful for any person to dive from or jump off any bridge which crosses the Colorado River within the city limits.
- No person shall operate any boat on Lake Austin at a speed which is greater than reasonable and prudent under the circumstances then existing.
- No person on any watercraft on Lake Austin, Lake Walter E. Long, or Lady Bird Lake shall possess, use or operate, or assist in the use or other similar device capable of propelling or launching fluid filled balloons or other projectiles.
- No person within 150 yards of the shoreline of Lake Austin, Lake Walter E. Long, or Lady Bird Lake shall use or operate, or assist in the use or other similar device to propel or launch fluid filled balloons or other projectiles towards the waters of said lakes.
- No person shall swim or float beyond 50 feet of the Lake Austin or Lake Long shoreline. This provision shall not apply to officially designated swimming areas.