The following is a list of officers killed during their course of duty at the Austin Police Department:

Officer Cornelius L. Fahey, 35, (March 8, 1875)

Officer Fahey, a native of Cork, Ireland, was shot through the abdomen on an unknown block of Congress Avenue between the hours of 12 a.m. and 1 a.m. on Sunday, March 7, 1875. His assailant, a "whiskey-crazed" man named Mark Tiner, fled the scene on horseback and was captured in Hancock's pasture approximately 3 ½ miles north of the city. Fahey was able to identify Tiner before dying of his wounds. Officer Fahey, according to local press, "was an efficient officer, and fell while in the discharge of his duty." He is the first Austin police officer known to have died in the line of duty. Memorial located at APD Headquarters, 715 E. 8th St.



Officer John Gaines, 50, (November 19, 1913)

Officer John Gaines, the only African American officer on the Austin police force, was shot by George Booth, a deputy constable, at 6th Street and Trinity Street on November 19, 1913. Booth, who had been making a disturbance, shot Officer Gaines while Gaines was on the telephone summoning help from the police station. At that time, African-American officers were not allowed to arrest Caucasians. Officer Gaines and his wife, Sarah, were originally from Big Spring, Texas. Memorial located at 401 E. 6th St. (Southeast corner of E. 6th and Trinity Streets)



Officer Tom Allen, age unknown, (October 24, 1915)

Officer Tom Allen, Austin's only African-American police officer since the death of John Gaines two years earlier, was shot and killed at Jennings' Drug Store in the 400 block of East 6th Street. The shooting followed an argument between Officer Allen and the editor of a black newspaper in San Antonio. Officer Allen was angered by reports that he had mistreated several African-American women he had arrested. After a confrontation with the editor by the wagon yard near Red River Street, Officer Allen followed the man to Jennings' drugstore. The editor, arriving first, drew a handgun from a briefcase he had left at the store and shot Officer Allen as he entered, his own gun drawn and ready. According to a newspaper story of the time, Officer Allen was killed only thirty feet from the site where Officer John Gaines had died two years earlier.  Memorial located at 401 E. 6th St. (Southeast corner of E. 6th and Trinity Streets)



Chief James N. Littlepage, 67, (October 9, 1928)

Chief James Littlepage was killed during a shooting rampage in South Austin on October 9, 1928. Chief Littlepage and several officers set out from City Hall on report that a crazed man wielding a shotgun had killed two women near the 300 block of Elizabeth Street. Officers chased the man along a creek bed while Chief Littlepage drove his automobile around to head the man off. When Chief Littlepage confronted the fleeing man at the 2500 block of Wilson Street, he attempted to talk him into surrendering. The gunman shot the Chief twice in the abdomen, then ran on to a house at 1800 Newton Street, where he shot and killed a carpenter working outside the home. Eventually the gunman, barricaded in yet another house, took his own life as police closed in.


Sergeant William Murray Stuart, 29, (October 16, 1933)

Sergeant William Stuart was killed in the line of duty when his motorcycle was struck by a car at the 1000 block of South Congress Avenue. Officer Stuart was attempting to pull over a speeding truck when he was struck by the car. The driver of the car was charged with negligent homicide. Memorial located at 1000 Block S. Congress (West curb line)




Officer James R. Cummings, 31, (December 3, 1933)

Officer James Cummings was killed in the line of duty when the motorcycle he was riding en route to an emergency call collided with a car at the intersection of 14th Street and Red River Street. Despite efforts by Cummings' partner and the occupants of the car to carry Officer Cummings to nearby Brackenridge Hospital, he died almost instantly from his wounds. Officer Cummings was the second motorcycle officer to be killed in the line of duty in less than two months. Memorial located at 1313 Red River St. (East curb line)  



Officer Elkins P. Morrison, 29, (February 2, 1936)

Officer Elkins Morrison was killed in the line of duty when he was struck by a car at the 300 block of Congress Avenue. Officer Morrison was on detective duty when he was struck crossing the street. Darkness, fog and rain were blamed for poor visibility leading to the accident.




Officer Walter Lee Tucker, 26, (October 14, 1948)

Officer Walter Tucker was killed in the line of duty when the motorcycle he was riding collided with a car at the intersection of Monroe and South Congress Avenue. Tucker, a two-year veteran, was on traffic patrol when the collision occurred. Memorial located at 1522 S. Congress (South side of building)




Officer Donald Eugene Carpenter, 28, (January 30, 1964)

Officer Donald Carpenter was killed at the site of a burglary in progress. As officers surrounded the business, a suspect inside shouted that he was coming out, but instead opened fire. Officer Carpenter was just exiting his patrol car when he was struck by gunfire from inside the building. Another officer already on the scene was seriously wounded. Officer Carpenter, shot in the head, died two days later. Memorial located at 1722 S. Congress (South side of building)




Officer Billy Paul Speed, 22, (August 1, 1966)

Officer Billy Speed was eating lunch at a cafe near the University of Texas campus when he heard gunfire. While investigating the shooting coming from the University of Texas Tower, he was struck and killed by a rifle bullet, making him one of the first victims of Charles Whitman, the infamous tower sniper. Whitman went on that day to kill a total of 16 and to wound more than 30 others.




Officer Thomas Wayne Birtong, 31, (August 23, 1974)

Officer Thomas Birtong was killed in a traffic collision at 15th and Trinity Street while responding to an officer's call for assistance. Officer Birtong's patrol car was operating "Code 3" - lights flashing and siren on-when the collision occurred. Memorial located at 15th @ Trinity (Northeast corner)




Officer Leland Dale Anderson, 26, (June 6, 1975)

Officer Leland Anderson was killed when he was attacked by three men at the intersection of 8th Street and Congress Avenue. Officer Anderson had observed one of the subjects selling papers and had stopped to check if he was in compliance with City ordinances. When Officer Anderson attempted to arrest one of the men on outstanding traffic warrants, a fight ensued. One of the subjects gained control of Officer Anderson's gun and shot him. Despite Officer Anderson's bulletproof vest, one bullet entered between the front and rear panel and penetrated his chest. The subjects were arrested following a pursuit in which gunfire was exchanged.




Officer Ralph A. Ablanedo, 26, (May 18, 1978)

Officer Ralph Ablanedo was killed in the line of duty during a traffic stop in the 900 block of Live Oak Street. Officer Ablanedo had ticketed the driver of the car, Sheila Meinert, for driving without a license, then ran a routine check on the passenger, David Lee Powell, who had warrants for misdemeanor theft and hot checks. As Officer Ablanedo spoke on his radio, Powell opened fire with a fully automatic AK-47, penetrating Officer Ablanedo's bulletproof vest. Despite his injuries, Officer Ablanedo was able to give officers a description of the car before he lost consciousness and died. Powell opened fire on a second officer when he was stopped a short time later, and also tossed a hand grenade, which failed to explode. His companion, Meinert, surrendered, and Powell fled on foot, only to be arrested a few hours later after an extensive manhunt. Powell was eventually convicted of murder and sentenced to death. Memorial located at 900 Block E. Live Oak St.



Officer Lee Craig Smith, 28, (December 15, 1979)

Officer Lee Smith, a motorcycle officer, died as a result of injuries suffered in an accident while on duty. While pursuing a motorist on the newly completed Mopac freeway, Officer Smith lost control of his motorcycle. A defective steering part caused the accident. Although Officer Smith had seemingly recovered from his injuries, he died suddenly at his home some months later as a result of the accident. Memorial located at 715 E. 8th St.





Officer Robert Martinez Jr., 26, (February 25, 1989)

Officer Robert Martinez Jr. was killed in the line of duty when his patrol car struck a tree. Martinez, who was en route to assist another officer, swerved to avoid a pick up truck that had pulled into his path. At the time of the collision, Officer Martinez was working the last hour of his last shift before a scheduled transfer to Walking Beat. Memorial located at 201 Chicon





Officer Drew Alan Bolin, 25, (June 2, 1995)

Officer Drew Bolin was killed in the line of duty when he was struck by drunk driver while directing traffic at a collision site in the 4800 block of IH-35. The driver of the vehicle, Cessilee Hyde, was convicted of intoxication manslaughter. Officer Bolin was in his fifth month of service as a commissioned officer of the Austin Police Department at the time of his death. Memorial located at 4700 Block N IH-35




Officer William DeWayne Jones Sr. (May 28, 2000)

Officer William Jones was shot and killed while conducting a traffic stop at Zilker Park. Officer Jones was speaking with the driver of the vehicle when the driver opened fire, striking him in the chest twice and the neck once. Officer Jones, who was not wearing a vest, was transported to a local hospital where he was pronounced dead. More than 200 youth soccer teams were attending an international soccer tournament at the park at the time of the shooting. The suspect fled the scene, but was spotted several hours later near Houston, Texas, approximately 150 miles away. After a short chase the suspect committed suicide. He had already served time in prison and was currently wanted by another jurisdiction for sexual assault. Officer Jones had been employed with the Austin Park Police Department for three years, and is survived by his wife and three children.  Memorial located at 600 BLK Robert E. Lee Rd.



Officer Clinton Warren Hunter, 22, (November 29, 2001)

Officer Clinton Hunter died from fatal injuries sustained when a vehicle, driven by a suspect attempting to flee from patrol officers, struck him. Officer Hunter was in his 14th month of service as a commissioned officer of the Austin Police Department at the time of his death. The suspect, Herschel Hinkle, eventually pleaded guilty of intoxication manslaughter and was sentenced to life in prison. Memorial located at 11215 S. IH35 (Northbound frontage road)




Sergeant Earl Hall, 50, (March 4, 2002)

Sergeant Earl Hall suffered a fatal heart attack shortly after responding to a burglary alarm in the downtown area of Austin. After determining the call was a false report, Sergeant Hall and his partner returned to the station to attend a meeting. Sergeant Hall collapsed during the meeting and was rushed to a nearby hospital where he died approximately one hour later. Sergeant Hall had been with the Austin Police Department for 21 years. Memorial located at 715 E. 8th St.



Officer Amy Donovan, 37, (October 31, 2004)

Officer Donovan was killed when she was accidentally struck by a police cruiser during a foot chase. At approximately 10:48 p.m., Officer Donovan and a fellow officer observed a suspicious person in the 1300 block of Poquito Street. Officer Donovan began a foot chase of the suspect and her fellow officer followed in a patrol unit. During the chase, the patrol car struck Officer Donovan. Officer Donovan later died as a result of her injuries. Officer Donovan was in her fifth month of service as a commissioned officer of the Austin Police Department at the time of her death. Memorial located at 812 Springdale Road



Senior Police Officer Jaime PadronOfficer Jaime Padron, 40, (April 6, 2012)

Senior Police Officer Jaime Padron was shot and killed after responding to a Wal-Mart store on the I-35 Frontage Road to investigate reports of an intoxicated, suspicious man. Upon encountering Officer Padron, the suspect immediately attempted to flee on foot but was tackled by Officer Padron and they both fell to the floor. During the ensuing struggle the man produced a small handgun from his pocket, shot Officer Padron, and then fired at the store employees. As Officer Padron laid mortally wounded, two Wal-Mart employees tackled the suspect, held him down and used Officer Padron's radio to notify dispatchers of the shooting. Responding units arrived to take the suspect into custody who was subsequently charged with capital murder.



Lieutenant Clay Crabb, 42, (October 16, 2013)

Lieutenant Clay Crabb was on his way to check a low water crossing during a period of heavy rain and flooding when he was involved in a fatal crash on Highway 290 near Sawyer Ranch Road.  Lt. Crabb began his career with APD in July of 1998 and was assigned to Region IV (Southeast and Southwest Austin) as the Operational Lieutenant.  Before joining APD, he worked patrol with the San Angelo Police Department from September 1994 – July 1998.  While at APD, Lt. Crabb earned a total of sixteen commendations and awards.   Senior Police Officer Amir




Officer Amir Abdul-Khaliq (September 4, 2016)

Senior Police Officer Amir Abdul-Khaliq succumbed to injuries sustained four days earlier in a police motorcycle crash at the intersection of Burnet Road and Ohlen Road. He was providing an escort for a funeral and was attempting to reach the next intersection when a car attempted to turn left through the procession. The car pulled directly into his path, causing him to strike it. He was transported to University Medical Center Brackenridge where he remained until succumbing to his injuries. The driver who caused the crash was cited for failing to yield to an emergency vehicle. Officer Abdul-Khaliq was a U.S. Marine Corps veteran and had served with the Austin Police Department for 17 years. He is survived by his five children.