Follow these instructions for submitting the electronic application for Volume Builder building permit applications to speed processing and ensure that all required materials are submitted.
General requirements for submittals
- All construction documents must be vector PDF files.
- Construction documents with an electronic seal by the design professional must be flattened in order to work with reviewers’ software.
- Security settings applied to PDFs must allow reviewers to mark up and merge PDFs.
If security settings do not allow for markup such as approval stamps, the applicant will need to resubmit the application.
- When the application is submitted, the applicant user account must match the applicant listed in the application form. This is necessary because all system-generated notifications will be sent to the email address associated with the user account.
- If materials include design options that are not applicable to this project, do the following:
- Identify all applicable design options by marking with a rectangle that does not interfere with the design or drawing.
- Identify design options that are not applicable by crossing them out.
- Flatten all markings.
- Builders must manage new and existing authorized users for submittals and payment accounts.
For faster processing of your application, please submit the supporting documents in the following order in a single vector or raster PDF file:
- Signed Zoning Review Sheet:
This is the Zoning Review Form signed by the applicant and the zoning reviewer.
Save the signature using Adobe Acrobat or another software package and flatten the signature.
- BSPA and Plot Plan:
These documents need to be stamped by Austin Energy.
These documents are not required for condominium applications.
- Green Building Form
- S.M.A.R.T. Housing Certification
Please also keep in mind the following when preparing supporting documents:
- Watch for overlapping papers during scanning and preparing the PDF files for submittal.
- Supporting documents may include vector or raster images and text.
- A WWWSPV form is not needed for the Volume Builder New Construction Application.
Please submit the construction documents as vector PDFpdfs in the order specified below:
- Plot plan and relevant sheets of the site plan (Site plans are required for condominium projects.)
- Architectural plans including floor plans, elevations, visitability exhibits, and any other relevant submittals.
- Structural plans including foundation plans and details, framing plans and details, wind-bracing plans and details, and truss-placement layout stamped by a Texas Registered Engineer when floor and roof trusses are used.
Please bear in mind the following when submitting construction documents:
- A truss package should not be submitted with the application. However, a stamped version is needed for inspections.
- REScheck documents should not be submitted. These are not relevant to the City of Austin.
- IC3 document, while relevant to the City of Austin, should not be submitted since these are not required for permit approval.
- More detailed information for residential construction submittal requirements can be found in the Building Criteria Manual.
Description of submittal
When entering the description into the description box on AB+C, please write the plan name and number, elevation, left (L) or right (R) swing, and description of work.
Here are examples of well-formed descriptions:
- Alexander 9563-A-L New 1-story single-family residence with (3) bedrooms, (2.5) bathrooms, attached 2 car garage, covered entry porch and patio.
- Alexander 9563-A-L New 2-story Duplex. Unit A to have (2) bedrooms, (1.5) bathrooms, attached 1 car garage, covered entry porch and patio. Unit B to have (3) bedrooms, (2) bathrooms, attached 2 car garage, covered entry porch and patio.
For condominium submittals follow the example below:
- New 3-story Townhouse Condominium.
Units A and D to have (3) bedrooms, (2.5) bathrooms, attached 2 car garage, covered entry, porch and patio Units B and C to have (2) bedrooms, (1.5) bathrooms, attached 2 car garage, covered entry, porch and patio.
Plan Type Units A and D: Academy- 2088 L/R. Plan type Units B and C: Morelia -4261 L/R FR Building Height: 27ft- 2 ½, Maximum Height: 27ft- 8 1/2. Required Parking: 2. Required FFE: 898.46- above MSL. Site Plan#: SP-2015-0000C. Expiration Date: 03-8-2019.
- New 2-story Duplex Condominium.
Units A & B to have (3) bedrooms, (2.5) bathrooms, attached 2 car garage, covered entry porch and patio, balcony.
Plan type Units A & B: Alexander 9563-A-L/R. FR Building Height: 19ft, Maximum Height: 19ft- 2 1/2. Required Parking: 2. Required FFE: 898.46- above MSL. Site Plan#: SP-2015-0000C. Expiration Date: 03-8-2019.
Rejections on the basis of “Application Incomplete”
- Go to My Permits and Cases
- Go to My applications
- Select the incomplete application
- Scroll down to the Edit & Continue option
- Re-submit your newly corrected PDF files.
This will avoid duplication.
Please note: It is possible to resubmit rejected applications as a new application.
To avoid duplication of a new PR, please resubmit the incomplete application with requested corrections/submittals as explained in this section.
Starting January 26, 2022, applicants will be able to resubmit volume builder applications online via the Austin Build + Connect (AB+C) portal. Portal enhancements will allow users to:
- Directly upload resubmittal documents to the AB+C portal My Permit Cases tab using the new “submit” button
- Remove documents uploaded in error for that review cycle using the new “delete” feature
Withdrawing an application
Follow these steps to withdraw or cancel an application:
- Go to My Permits and Cases.
- Click on My Applications
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and use the Cancel/Discard function.
Printing your recordset
To print Stamped Record Set Plans, follow the steps below:
- Go to Permits & Cases.
- Scroll to the PR (Plan Review case) to print.
- Click on the folder for the case.
- The Print option is at the bottom of the page.
Note: Projects submitted electronically do not require paper plans on site.