Austin Public Health Authored Publications
Last Updated July 8, 2021
Epidemiologists and other staff at Austin Public Health (APH) conduct activities to identify and better understand current and emerging public health issues (e.g., infectious diseases, chronic diseases, injuries) in our community. Improved knowledge and a better understanding of these public health conditions assist in developing and administering control and prevention activities.
APH feels it’s important to share the knowledge learned from these studies with the public.
The following list includes published public health articles that have been written (or co-written) by APH staff since 2017. These articles are categorized by topic: chronic disease, general public health, infectious disease, injury, and Sexually Transmitted Diseases/Human Immunodeficiency Viruses (STD/HIV).
The names of APH authors are indicated in bold text.
- Local Marketing of a National Texting-Based Smoking Cessation Program: Is It Cost Effective? Brown, H. S., Patel, U., Seidel, S., LeMaistre, A., & Wilson, K. (2020). Frontiers in Public Health, 8, 116.
- E-cigarettes and Vaping: A Tale of Two Crises. Escott, M, E. Travis County Medical Society Journal. 2019; 65(6):22-23.
- Using the Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System to Assess Mental Health, Travis County, Texas, 2011-2016. Miyakado-Steger, H., & Seidel, S. (2019). Preventing Chronic Disease, 16, E28.
- Effects of a Tobacco-Free Work Site Policy on Employee Tobacco Attitudes and Behaviors, Travis County, Texas, 2010-2012. Seidel, S. E., Metzger, K., Guerra, A., Patton-Levine, J., Singh, S., Wilson, W. T., & Huang, P. (2017). Preventing Chronic Disease, 14, E133.
- Childhood Obesity in Travis County. Huang P, Seidel, S, Steger, H. Travis County Medical Society Journal. 2017; 63(5):22-24.
- Diabetes in Travis County: Trends & Comorbidities. Huang P, Seidel, S. Travis County Medical Society Journal. 2017; 63(2):18-19.
General Public Health
- Cost-effectiveness of a comprehensive immunization program serving high-risk, uninsured adults. Wilson, K. J., Brown, H. S., Patel, U., Tucker, D., & Becker, K. (2020). Preventive Medicine, 130, 105860.
- Cost – Benefit Analysis of Austin Public Health’s Peer to Peer Adolescent Sexual Health Education Program. Wilson, Kim; Patel, Ujas; Sandrea, S; Santos, F; and Brown, H (2020). Journal of Family Strengths: Vol. 20 : Iss. 1 , Article 6.
- Keyword Surveillance and the Development of Evolving Reporting in Austin, Texas. Hawes, A. N. (2019). Online Journal of Public Health Informatics, 11(1).
- Disproportionate COVID-19 mortality among Hispanics in Travis County, Texas, March - August 2020. Heines, V, Thompson, Z, Rucas, H, Zane, D. (2021). Texas Public Health Journal. 73(3): 21-23.
- Projecting COVID-19 isolation bed requirements for people experiencing homelessness. Ingle, T. A., Morrison, M., Wang, X., Mercer, T., Karman, V., Fox, S., & Meyers, L. A. (2021). PloS One, 16(5), e0251153.
- COVID-19 Outbreak Among College Students After a Spring Break Trip to Mexico—Austin, Texas, March 26-April 5, 2020. Megan, L., Sanchez, R., Auerbach, S., Nam, D., Lanier, B., Taylor, J., Jaso, C., Nolan, K., Jacobs, E., A., Hudson, F., P., Bhavani, D. (2020). MMWR. Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report, 69(26), 830–835.
- Evaluating the risk of tick-borne relapsing fever among occupational cavers-Austin, TX, 2017. Campbell, S. B., Klioueva, A., Taylor, J., Nelson, C., Tomasi, S., Replogle, A., Kwit, N., Sexton, C., Schwartz, A., & Hinckley, A. (2019). Zoonoses and Public Health, 66(6), 579–586.
- Detection of Tickborne Relapsing Fever Spirochete, Austin, Texas, USA. Bissett, J. D., Ledet, S., Krishnavajhala, A., Armstrong, B. A., Klioueva, A., Sexton, C...Lopez, J. E. (2018). Emerging Infectious Diseases, 24(11), 2003-2009.
- Carbapenem-resistant Enterobacteriaceae (CRE) in Travis County. Huang P, Kirkpatrick, B, Seidel, S, Taylor, J. Travis County Medical Society Journal. 2018; 64(6):20-21.
- Tick-borne Relapsing Fever in Texas and Travis County: Key Information and Recommendations. Campbell, S. B., Huang, P., Kirkpatrick, B., Klioueva, A., Taylor, J. (2018). Travis County Medical Society Journal. 2018; 64(3):22-23.
- Fatal Flea-Borne Typhus in Texas: A Retrospective Case Series, 1985-2015. Pieracci, E. G., Evert, N., Drexler, N. A., Mayes, B., Vilcins, I., Huang, P., Campbell, J., Behravesh, C. B., & Paddock, C. D. (2017). The American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene, 96(5), 1088–1093.
- Human Papillomavirus and Immunization in Travis County, Part 2. Huang P, Seidel, S, Klioueva, A. Travis County Medical Society Journal. 2017; 63(4):22-23.
- Human Papillomavirus and Immunization in Travis County, Part 1. Huang P, Seidel, S, Klioueva, A. Travis County Medical Society Journal. 2017; 63(3):22-23.
- Injury rates per mile of travel for electric scooters versus motor vehicles. Rix, K., Demchur, N. J., Zane, D. F., & Brown, L. H. (2021). The American Journal of Emergency Medicine, 40, 166–168.
- The characteristics of dockless electric rental scooter-related injuries in a large U.S. city. English, K. C., Allen, J. R., Rix, K., Zane, D. F., Ziebell, C. M., Brown, C. V. R., & Brown, L. H. (2020). Traffic Injury Prevention, 21(7), 476–481.
- A Public Health Snapshot - Injury Mortality Trends by Intent among Children and Adolescents Aged 10-19 Years across Texas, 1999-2016. Zane D, Moerbe, M, Miyakado-Steger, H, Carlton, D, Singletary, L, Short, K, Wright, J, Espinoza, R, Kurian, A, Hinojosa, S, Haile, H, Lynch, D, Gonzalez, F, Barrera, S, Rodriguez, J, Metzler, L, Lozano, C. Texas Public Health Journal. 2019; 71(4): 23-29.
- Firearm related Mortality in Travis County. Huang P, Seidel S. Travis County Medical Society Journal. 2019; 65(1):20, 22.
- Deaths by Suicide and Suicide Attempts in Austin/Travis County. Hawes, A, Huang P, Seidel, S, Steger, H, M, Taylor, J. Travis County Medical Society Journal. 2018; 64(4):24-26.
- Unintentional Drowning and Drowning Prevention in Travis County. Seidel S, Zane D, Lackey S, Huang P. Travis County Medical Society Journal. 2018; 64(3):24-26.
- Drug Overdose and Opioid Use in Travis County. Huang P, Seidel S, Steger H, Taylor J, Zane D. Travis County Medical Society Journal. 2018; 64(2):24-26.
- Infant Suffocation and Safe Sleep. Huang P, Seidel S, Lackey S, Zane D, Garcia C. Travis County Medical Society Journal. 2018; 64(1):22-24.
- Fast-Track Cities Initiative to End the AIDS Epidemic. Huang P, Seidel, S. Travis County Medical Society Journal. 2018; 64(5):26-28.