APD's Auto Theft Unit has specialized programs designed to reduce vehicle crimes. The Auto Theft Interdiction Project programs (ATIP) are partly funded by the Texas Auto Burglary & Theft Prevention Authority. There are two auto theft detectives per Austin Region.
ATIP combats vehicle theft and burglary through law enforcement, crime analysis, crime prevention and public awareness. This forms a proactive program to investigate, identify, arrest and charge criminals.
Some of the measures involved in this proactive program are:
- Investigating burglary of vehicles
- Performing interdiction activities
- Identifying and investigating automotive organized crime
- Conducting operations which target offenders
- Scheduling and conducting 68-A Inspections
- Performing VIN etching services and attending community events to educate the public