**For information related to your auto theft case, or for general questions, please email the Auto Theft Unit. Due to the high number of phone calls, emails can be fielded faster and more efficiently.**
APD's Auto Theft Unit has specialized programs designed to reduce vehicle crimes. The Auto Theft Interdiction Project programs (ATIP) are partly funded by the Texas Auto Burglary & Theft Prevention Authority.
ATIP combats vehicle theft and burglary through law enforcement, crime analysis, crime prevention, and public awareness. This forms a proactive program to investigate, identify, arrest, and charge criminals.
Some of the measures involved in this proactive program are:
- Investigating burglary of vehicles
- Performing interdiction activities
- Identifying and investigating automotive organized crime
- Conducting operations that target offenders
- Scheduling and conducting 68-A Inspections
To report an Auto Theft:
- Call 3-1-1 to have an officer dispatched to your location to take a report and have the vehicle listed as stolen
- Contact your insurance company and give them your report number
- Check autoreturn.com daily by entering both your license plate # and vin #. This will tell you if your vehicle has been towed in the Austin area.
Please note: the Auto Theft Unit is not open 24 hours. The office is open Monday through Friday during regular business hours.