Peace Officer Right to Disarm
People and Places Restrictions
Firearms on Private Property
Secure Law Enforcement Facility
The following is allowed by law for handgun owners:
- Public areas of city facilities, like libraries and recreation centers
- Texas State Capitol
- Outside in public (walking down the street)
- Concealed gun anywhere on the body. Concealing a gun is still allowed.
- Handgun in shoulder holster
- Handgun in belt holster
- Places of business with no visible signage prohibiting handgun
Please be advised that handguns and other weapons are prohibited in these places:
Guns Not Allowed:
- Secured areas of the Airport
- Polling places on any voting days
- Places of business with visible signage prohibiting handguns
- Business permitted by TABC that derives 51% or more of its income from the sale of alcohol
- High school, college, interscholastic, or professional sporting event unless the person is a participant and the event involves use of the weapon
- Correctional facility; civil commitment facility, hospital, nursing facility, or mental hospital
- Amusement park
- A room(s) where an open governmental meeting is occurring
Still have questions? We have answers.
Where is it legal to open carry?
- Anyplace you could previously carry concealed, you may now carry openly.
Where is it not legal to openly carry?
- Any place that is prohibited under the concealed handgun law applies to open carry.
What weapons are not allowed to be carried openly?
- Any weapon prohibited by law (Texas Penal Code, Prohibited Weapons)
Do public schools have to post "no carry" signs or are they just understood "no carry" zones?
What should citizens do if a business tells them they cannot have their gun exposed but they don't have the prohibited sign posted?
- Any time a License Holder is asked to leave a property by a person with apparent authority to do so, the License Holder should leave the premises.
Is there a limit to the number of firearms you can carry?
- The law does not limit the number of handguns that can be carried.
Have APD officers been trained on the new permitless carry law?
- APD officers have been trained on the new law.
Have 911 call takers been trained on the new permitless carry law?
- 911 call takers have been trained on the new law.
Can private businesses opt out of concealed, open and permitless carry?
- Yes, by having appropriate signage (30.05, 30.06, 30.07)
Can city employees open carry on the job?
- No. City policy does not allow employees to carry a weapon except for police officers.
Does this change the law for open carrying of Long Guns (shotguns and rifles)?
Find more information about Handgun Licensing in Texas from the Texas Department of Public Safety.