Austin Arts, Culture, Music and Entertainment

Susanna Dickinson Museum

Banner with exterior of Susanna Dickinson museum

About the Museum

The museum is the only remaining residence of Susanna Dickinson. Her home was saved, restored and opened as a museum on March 2, 2010, Texas Independence Day. It is considered a “rubble-rock” house, a style of architecture brought to the Texas Hill Country by German immigrants. Inside the museum are rare Dickinson family artifacts, as well as furniture produced by Hannig. The couple lived in this house for six years, until 1875, at which point they moved into the area of town known as Hyde Park. Please stop by and let our docents show you the house and recount the vivid stories of the survivors of the Battle of the Alamo.

The museum is part of Brush Square Museums, two historic museums consisting of the Susanna Dickinson Museum and the O. Henry Museum.

Staff

  • Emily O'Connor, Museum Site Coordinator
  • Hannah Bancroft, Culture and Arts Education Coordinator
Susanna Dickinson Museum
Flyer for Under Our Lone Star Sky: Stories of Texas Women Looking for Home

On Exhibit: "Under Our Lone Star Sky"

Under Our Lone Star Sky provides a poignant exploration of issues such as struggles with homelessness, domestic violence, and systemic inequities while celebrating the resilience and strength of women throughout early Texas history as they strive for stability and belonging. This exhibit shows that many of today's struggles – economic pressures from expensive housing, jobs that pay poorly, limited institutional support – play out in various ways throughout history for Texas women.

See More Exhibits