The Austin Nature & Science Center offers nature-based educational programs for a variety of school groups, including public, private, preschool, and homeschool.
The Austin Nature and Science Center offers various nature- and science-based educational programs* for a variety of school groups including public, private, preschool, and homeschool. All monthly curriculum themes correlate to the Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills (TEKS) standards. Take a look at our options below!
- Self-Guided Tours
Self-Guided Tours are to help you explore the wonders of the Austin Nature & Science Center and the Beverly Sheffield Education Center at your own pace.
- ANSC at Schools
- Schools at ANSC
All school programs correlate to Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills (TEKS).
These STEAM-focused programs will instill an appreciation of the natural world while offering an opportunity to collaborate and socialize with peers. This year, we are offering monthly meet-ups, science club, and adventure club. More details will be coming soon, including the registration date! Masks are not required indoors or outdoors.
Each month, all participants will investigate and make discoveries involving a new topic. The 13-16 year olds will develop their leadership skills in nature-based education by assisting the staff as Educators in Training (EITs).
- Ages 4-12 years 10:00 am -11:30 am or 12:30 pm -2:00 pm
Ages 13- 16 years (Educator in training) 9:30am -11:30 am or 12:00 pm -2:00 pm
Prices: Ages 4-12: $45 City of Austin resident/ $55 non-COA residents l Ages 13-16: $35 City of Austin residents/ $45 non-COA residents
Dates and Themes:
- October 18 or 19: Nocturnal Nature
- November 15 or 16: Geology at Pease Park
- December 20 or 21: Reptiles & Amphibians
- January 24 or 25: Electricity & Magnets
- February 21 or 22: Weather
This program is designed for students to explore, make observations, and answer testable questions using the scientific method. Students in the 3rd and 4th grade will work on individual projects that are eligible to enter the Austin Energy Science Fair. Participation in this program will conclude with an ANSC Science Fair for all!
Ages: Students in 3-4 Grades, typically 8-10 years
Meeting Time: 11:30 am -1:00 pm
Prices: $70 City of Austin residents/ $80 non-COA residents l Includes entry fee to Austin Regional Science Fair for eligible projects!
Dates and Themes:
- October 12: What makes an experiment? Homework: Design your experiment
- November 9: Design an experiment and measure results: Homework: Conduct your experiment
- December 7: How to display data. Homework: Create your project board
- January 11: Present your project to the ANSC class Homework: Finalize your board for the ANSC Science Fair
- January 18: Homeschool Science Fair! Selected projects submitted to the Austin Energy Regional Science Fair
Adventure activities include biking, climbing, caving, wayfinding, and hiking. Participants must be able to ride a bike for three miles unassisted. Bring a sack lunch and a water bottle!
Ages: 10-14 years
Meeting time and dates: 9:00 am -1:00 pm l October 12, November 9, December 7, January 11, February 18
Check out our Flickr page.
Investigate the TEKS (Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills) with Elizabeth, Emily, and Mary on TEKS Tuesdays for grades K-5.
- TEKS Tuesday