APD Safe Place is an initiative designed to assist the victims of hate/bias crime and to encourage the reporting of these crimes.
How can my business participate?
- Order decal(s)
- Commit to the Safe Place principles
- Once your request is received, APD's LGBTQ+ liaison will deliver or mail your decals to your location and provide further training to you and/or your staff on the APD Safe Place concept.
What are my responsibilities?
Although the APD SAFE PLACE program is free and voluntary, it is important that you educate your staff regarding their responsibilities:
- If a crime victim enters your premise, your staff should call 9-1-1 immediately on the victim's behalf.
- Allow the victim to remain on your premise until police arrive.
- If the victim leaves prior to police arrival, re-contact 9-1-1 and update the operator with the victim's and/or suspect's description and direction of travel.
As with any emergency situation, your staff should use due care and caution when providing the victims of crime safe shelter while being mindful of the safety of patrons, co-workers and compliance with company policy.
What if I need more decals or information?
Please contact APD SafePlace Coordinator Christian Mendoza by email or phone (512) 974-4734.