Every night, Austin Resource Recovery sweeps and cleans designated streets and alleys in the Downtown Recycling and Trash Service District, and trash is collected from receptacles along Sixth Street and Congress Avenue. Learn more about how Austin Resource Recovery keeps Austin clean.
Austin Resource Recovery also manages a commercial trash and recycling Dumpster contract, required by Austin City Council Ordinance 20051020-063 for businesses located in the Downtown Austin Recycling and Trash Service District.
Businesses and residents in this service district have access to convenient Single Stream recycling Dumpsters in their alleys. These customers can place all of the following materials in any alley recycling Dumpster, with no sorting required:
||Mixed paper, including mail, newspapers, magazines and phone books
||Aluminum, tin and steel cans
||Hard plastic containers #1-7
Recycling resources for Downtown trash and recycling district
Follow these steps to prepare materials for recycling
- Flatten boxes
- Drain bottles, jars, cans and other containers
- Rinse off food residue
- Donot put recyclables in plastic bags
These items are considered trash; keep them out of the single stream recycling dumpsters:
- Food and food-soiled paper
- Plastic bags
- Plastic film and wrap
- Paper cups, plates and napkins
- Waxed produce boxes
- Paper towels or tissues
- Shredded paper
Monthly rate – commercial properties
- Base rate: $8.75
- Volume charge for trash service: $17.40 per cubic yard
- Central Business District special cleaning service: $17.00
- Clean Community Fee (all businesses pay this fee): Visit the commercial collection services page for current rate.
- There is no additional fee for recycling service
Monthly rates – residential properties
- Base rate: $7.00
- Trash service fee: $14.50 per resident
- Clean Community Fee (all residential customers pay this fee): Visit the Residential rates and fees page for current rate.
- There is no additional fee for recycling service.