On November 6, 2018, voters in the City of Austin approved seven bond propositions totaling $925 million.
The approved propositions are:
- Proposition A -- $250 million for affordable housing;
- Proposition B -- $128 million for libraries, museums and cultural centers;
- Proposition C -- $149 million for parks and recreation;
- Proposition D -- $184 million for flood mitigation, open space, and water quality protection;
- Proposition E -- $16 million for health and human services;
- Proposition F -- $38 million for public safety; and
- Proposition G -- $160 million for transportation infrastructure.
You can find more information on the individual propositions here.
All information related to the 2018 Bond will be added to this webpage. Please continue to check back for regular updates.
2018 BOND VOTER INFORMATION BOOKLET & ONE PAGER
Para información sobre el Bono 2018 en español, por favor vea:
Acompáñenos a la jornada informativa sobre los #bonos2018 para conocer más sobre ellos. Llame al (512) 974-2000 para información sobre el calendario de reuniones y solicitar servicios de interpretación con al menos 5 días de anticipación.
انضم إلينا في الاجتماع المفتوح 2018 bond لمعرفة المزيد عن اتحاد 2018. اتصل برقم (512) 974-2000 لمعرفة برنامج الاجتماع المفتوح وطلب خدمات الترجمة الفورية قبل 5 أيام على الأقل.
2018 bond 오픈하우스에오셔서 2018년시채권(Bond)에대해자세히알아보세요. (512) 974-2000으로연락하시면오픈하우스일정을안내해드립니다. 통역서비스가필요하시면최소 5일전까지요청하세요.
以「2018 bond open house」（2018 債券投票開放日）為話題加入我們的討論當中，瞭解更多關於本市 2018 債券投票的資訊。請撥打 (512) 974-2000 獲取開放日計劃表，並至少提前 5 天申請翻譯服務。
欢迎参加我们的 2018 bond 开放日活动，了解有关 2018 债券投票的更多信息。敬请致电 (512) 974-2000 获取开放日日程表，如需口译服务，请至少提前 5 天提出申请。
Mời quý vị cùng tham dự buổi tọa đàm công khai về trái phiếu #2018 để tìm hiểu thêm về trái phiếu 2018. Gọi (512) 974-2000 để biết lịch trình tổ chức buổi tọa đàm công khai và yêu cầu dịch vụ thông dịch trước ít nhất 5 ngày.
2018 BOND OPEN HOUSE SCHEDULE
A series of community open houses have been scheduled to provide residents an opportunity to ask questions and learn more about the bond. Community members are invited to attend any of the 10 open houses. The open house schedule is as follows:
- District 1: October 10, 6:00-8:00 p.m., Millennium Youth Entertainment Complex, 1156 Hargrave St.
- District 2: October 8, 4:30-6:30 p.m., Southeast Branch Library, 5803 Nuckols Crossing Road
- District 3: October 25, 6:00-8:00 p.m., Montopolis Recreation Center, 1200 Montopolis Drive
- District 4: October 20, 12:00-2:00 p.m., Gus Garcia Recreation Center, 1201 E. Rundberg Lane
- District 5: October 22, 6:30-8:30 p.m., Manchaca Road Library, 5500 Manchaca Road
- *District 6: October 17, 6:30pm-8:00pm, Heritage at Hunters Chase, 12151 Hunters Chase Drive
- District 7: October 15, 4:30-6:30 p.m., North Village Library, 2505 Steck Avenue
- District 8: October 16, 5:30-7:30 p.m., Circle C Community Center, 7817 La Crosse Ave.
- District 9: September 27, 6:00-8:00 p.m., Austin City Hall, 301 W. 2nd Street
- District 10: October 3, 4:30-6:40 p.m., Old Quarry Library, 7051 Village Center Drive
*please note that this is an updated open house for District 6
You can find a copy of the presentation here. Please use the Presentation Request Form below if you would like to request an additional presentation.
2018 BOND FINANCIAL AND TAX IMPACT
The City of Austin is one of multiple taxing entities to which property owners pay taxes annually. The City of Austin property tax rate is composed of two parts: the Operations and Maintenance rate (O&M) and the debt service rate. The debt service rate is set in order to generate the revenue necessary to make the City’s payments for its tax-supported debt. The 2018 fiscal year debt service tax rate is 10.55 cents for every $100 of taxable assessed property value. The 2018 fiscal year O&M tax rate is 33.93 cents for every $100 of taxable assessed property value.
The City of Austin's general obligation bonds are backed by the City's levy of an ad valorem tax (property tax) to secure payment of the bonds. Passage of the proposition and issuance of the bonds and notes would affect only the debt service tax rate portion of the City of Austin tax rate.
Tax Bill Impact Calculator
The estimated tax bill impact of passage of the propositions and issuance of the proposed bonds and notes contained in this section is an approximation based on the fiscal year 2018 property tax rate (33.93 cents per $100 of taxable assessed value) as well as assumptions about market and economic conditions, and may be subject to change. The numbers provided in the Tax Bill Impact Calculator do not guarantee a certain impact on a property owner’s annual tax bill.
To view a property’s taxable value, visit the Travis Central Appraisal District at www.TravisCAD.org if the property is located in Travis County; the Williamson Central Appraisal District at www.WCAD.org if the property is in Williamson County; or the Hays County Central Appraisal District at www.HaysCAD.com if the property is located in Hays County.
The anticipated annual tax bill impact is based on taxable home value. Taxable home value is the value of a home after property tax exemptions, such as the homestead exemption, or senior exemption, have been applied
Enter Taxable Assessed Home Value
(do not use symbols or commas)
Estimated Annual Tax Bill Impact
In 2016, the Austin City Council formed a citizen-led Bond Election Advisory Task Force (Task Force) to identify, study, prioritize, and propose various projects for consideration of bond funding in a potential 2018 election. The Bond Election Advisory Task Force, comprised of 13 Austin residents, convened 13 full task force meetings and 66 working group meetings. In total, approximately 140 hours of public meeting time occurred, with nearly 300 Austin residents participating in in-person and online bond-simulator exercises. Additionally, 12 separate community engagement sessions, reaching all 10 council districts, were conducted, and more than 900 online bond surveys were submitted and reviewed.
For nearly 24 months, the Task Force met with stakeholders, gathered input, and developed a proposal, focusing its recommendation to the City Council on reinvestment in current city infrastructure. In August 2018, the Austin City Council passed an ordinance calling for a $925 million bond election on November 6, 2018, and set ballot language for seven different propositions.
2018 BOND PROGRAM UPDATES
- May 21, 2018: City staff released the 2018 Bond- Staff Update Report
- June 28, 2018: City Council passed Resolution 20180628-027 directing the City Manger to bring back an ordinance calling an November 2018 Bond Election for $925 million.
- August 9, 2018: City Council passed Ordinance No. 20180809-113, calling a November 2018 election and setting the ballot language, and Resolution No. 20180809-061 related to the 2018 Bond
- September 5, 2018: City staff released 2018 Bond Brochure and one pager
- September 7, 2018: City staff released memo to Council on 2018 Bond update
- November 20, 2018: City Council approved Resolution 20181120-001 canvassing the results of the November 6, 2018 general and special elections
- November 20, 2018: City Manager releases memo updating Council on 2018 Bond implementation