AFD Emergency Prevention engineers review site plans, building plans, and fire protections system plans associated with new construction and/or renovations.
Fire Protection Engineering
AFD's Fire Protection engineers are primarily responsible for fire safety features in the design of buildings, including the design of the overall site, and new and renovated buildings. Features include fire access roads, fire hydrant placement, fire sprinklers, smoke alarms, fire alarm systems, fire pumps, smoke control and ventilation, egress systems, and other special extinguishing systems. Fire protection systems and equipment generally are required to comply with the standards of the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA).
City of Austin Codes
Plan Review Submission Information
Effective January 16, 2024, the AFD’s Fire Marshal’s Office will implement the following changes to the Fire System Plan Review Intake Process.
- Fire System Contractors will no longer have to upload submittal documentation thru Box.com.
- All submittal documentation will be uploaded directly thru AFD’s Fire System Plan Review Form (Fee Form).
- All cancelled submissions will require the completion of a new Fire System Plan Review Form (Fee Form).
Please review our new “AFD Plan Review Intake Process Guide” found in the link below, which outlines the new submittal process and inspection scheduling hours taking on the above listed date.
- Current AFD Plan Review Intake Process Guide - Effective January 16, 2024
- Fire System Plan Review Form (Fee Form)
Automatic Sprinkler System
- Automatic Sprinkler Submittal Checklist | Instructions
- Twenty Head or Less Sprinkler Work Letters and Plans
- High-Rise Standpipe PRV Calculations and PRV Chart Requirements
Fire Alarm System
- Fire Alarm Submittal Checklist | Instructions
- Guidelines for 5 Device or Less Fire Alarm Remodel submittals
- Guidelines for FACP and Device for Device Replacement Fire Alarm submittals
- Guidelines for FACP Only Replacement Fire Alarm submittals
- Sample Calculations
Access Control System/Electronic Locking
Emergency Responder Communication Enhancement System
Fire System Plan Review Status – FIRR Case
For system plan status follow the steps below:
- Visit Austin Build + Connect website
- Enter associated BP in “Search by Permit Number” field
- Select “Yes” in “Related Folder” field
- View details in “Status” field under FIRR case