Austin Code employee taking a photo

Frequently Asked Questions

This page contains answers to the Development Services Department Code Compliance's most frequently asked questions. For questions about specific code violations, see our list of common code violations or check the Municipal Code Library.

Still have questions? Call DSD Code Connect at 512-974-CODE [512-974-2633] or email to reach an experienced code inspector.

I have a question about:

DSD Code Connect

What is the DSD Code Connect?

DSD Code Connect is a program that allows residents to contact the DSD Code Compliance and talk to an experienced facilitator. Facilitators can:

  • help with general code questions
  • provide resource guidance
  • give updates on existing cases

DSD Code Connect is here to Inform – Guide – Educate!

What can I expect when I call DSD Code Connect?

A DSD Code Connect facilitator will assess your question or the situation you are presenting. Then the facilitator will assist you in getting the answer to your question or a path to resolving your situation.

Can I call DSD Code Connect anonymously?

Yes, you may call DSD Code Connect and have your information remain confidential.

Why should I call DSD Code Connect?

The DSD Code Connect program provides immediate customer service support for residents. You can use it to gather information regarding cases or obtain other education information directly and quickly.

Can I call the code inspector assigned to my case?

We encourage you to get to know and speak to the code inspector assigned to your case. If you are unsure who the assigned inspector is, you may contact DSD Code Connect to find out.

What do I do if my call is outside the DSD Code Connect hours of operation?

The DSD Code Connect line is staffed Monday through Friday from 8:00 AM until 4:00 PM. Outside of these hours, please call 3-1-1. You can also email and a representative will reply to you during business hours.

Who do I call about permits and plans for additions to my house, decks, and other similar questions?

Questions about zoning, building and trades permits, or requirements for building or renovating structures on your property can be directed to the Development Services Department. Visit to schedule an appointment. You can also call the appointment line at 512-978-4504.

Code requirements

Note: If you have a question about a specific code violation, see our list of common code violations or check the Municipal Code Library.

What is the International Property Maintenance Code (IPMC)?

The International Property Maintenance Code (IPMC) is a model code that regulates the minimum maintenance requirements for existing residential and commercial buildings. The IPMC is intended to establish minimum standards for basics such as structural conditions, lighting, ventilation, sanitation, and fire safety. Municipalities around the world, including the City of Austin, use the IPMC as a template for their property maintenance codes. Learn more about how the City of Austin has adapted the IPMC.

Who is my code inspector? How do I contact them?

You can find your code inspector using our interactive map. Their phone number and email will be listed so you can contact them directly. If you don’t see your code inspector or if you need help, call Code Connect at 512-974-CODE [512-974-2633] or email

I think I have mold growing in my house/apartment. Will DSD Code Compliance address the mold?

DSD Code Compliance does not conduct mold inspection or testing. We may address the contributing factors that fall under minimum standards. Mold is often a sign of other code violations. Learn more about how to deal with mold if you live in rental housing.

Am I required to have a carbon monoxide (CO) detector in my house/apartment?

Yes. Per City code, any structure that is used for residential purposes and uses gas or fuel-burning appliances and/or has an attached garage that connects to the structure is required to install and maintain carbon monoxide (CO) detectors. The property owner or property manager is responsible for the installation and maintenance of CO detectors. Detectors may be purchased online or at local retail stores. Learn more about where detectors should be placed and the effects of carbon monoxide poisoning

Is my house/apartment required to have insulation?

In most cases, yes. However, enforcement of insulation requirements is done as part of the permitting and inspections process for new construction and renovations. For more information about insulation requirements contact Land Development Information Services.

Licensing a private hauler

Why do haulers need a license?

All private haulers that collect, remove, or transport waste, recycling, and/or organic/compost within the City of Austin must obtain a Private Hauler License (Ordinance No. 20120628-012, City of Austin Code 15-6, Article 3). The license must be renewed annually, and is not transferable.

How do I get or renew a private hauler license?

For complete instructions on how to get or renew a license, visit

An applicant must do the following to receive a license:

  • Complete a Private Hauler License Application (PDF 437KB).
  • Include the following to Austin Code:
    • Insurance Certification
    • Annual State of Texas Vehicle Inspection Certification for each Licensed Vehicle
    • Vehicle License Fee - $647 per solid waste vehicle annually (vehicles that only haul recycling/compost are exempt from fee)
    • Tonnage Report/Remittance Form - Prior reporting period
  • Send the application the following ways:
    • Email your completed application and documents to
    • Mail your completed application and documents to:
      • City of Austin—DSD Code Compliance

        AttnFinance - Waste Haulers

        P.O. Box 1088, Austin, TX 78767

        (Original documents must be submitted for your licenses to be issued.)

    • Call 512-974-9144 for an appointment to submit forms and payment in person

The offices of the Private Solid Waste and Recycling Hauler Program are located at 6310 Wilhelmina Delco Dr., Austin, Texas 78752. This is not a mailing address. Applications mailed to this address will be returned.

How much is the solid waste licensing fee? How much is the recycling license fee?

The licensing fee for solid waste vehicles is $647 per vehicle / per year.  The fee is due on or before the last business day in January of each year. 

Recycling vehicles and containers are exempt from fees as long as they are used exclusively to collect recyclables and have blue recycling licenses. The license decals must be permanently affixed to the exterior vehicle doors.

What happens if I haul without a license?

Offenses are punishable by a fine up to $2,000 and, upon a first conviction, not less than $100.  The minimum fine shall be doubled for the second conviction of the same offense within any 24-month period and tripled for the third and subsequent convictions of the same offense within any 24-month period.

Can a license be revoked?

Yes, Austin Code may revoke a license if a licensee does not comply with the law, pay required fees, or file required reports.

Who may I contact about licensing and reporting requirements?

Please contact our Licensing Program Specialist at 512-974-9035 for information regarding licensing and reporting requirements.

What is solid waste? What is recycling?

Solid waste is rubbish, refuse and other discarded materials, such as tires and construction scraps (e.g. landfill trash or debris).

Recycling is a process by which materials are collected, sorted, processed or prepared into marketable commodities for manufacturing into new products.

Is illegal dumping a problem in Austin?

Yes, the City of Austin spends $250,000 per year cleaning property where furniture, tires and junk have been illegally dumped.

I collect trash and/or recyclables outside the city limits (Austin) but I drive through Austin. Do I need a license?

Per Ordinance No. 20120628-012, you do not need a license. The licensing requirement is for businesses which collect landfill trash and/or recyclables in Austin.

How do I find a licensed hauler in Austin?

You can find a listing of licensed haulers at

Licensing a boarding house

What are the licensing requirements for boarding houses?

DSD Code Compliance requires an annual application, fee, inspection of property and a certificate of occupancy, prior to issuance of an operating license. Learn more about getting a boarding house license.

How much is the boarding house licensing fee?

The fees are based on number of sleep rooms in the establishment. They are $327 + $15 per sleep room. Fees are prorated by quarter. All fees are non-refundable.

What if my boarding house is inspected or regulated by the state?

You will still need to be licensed by the City of Austin.

Does the licensing requirement apply to correctional halfway houses, sober houses, nursing houses, and similar facilities?

Yes. All establishments with 16 or more adults living in it MUST be licensed.

What if my boarding house is residentially zoned?

By law, a residentially zoned structure cannot house more than 15 people. Exceptions can be granted for people with certain disabilities. In order to do this, a person with a disability or someone representing a person with a disability must submit a Reasonable Accommodation (RA) Request to the City of Austin. The RA Request form can be downloaded at These can be turned in directly to the City of Austin Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) Office or to DSD Code Compliance with the Operating License Application.

Please see for more information about the Boarding House program.

How long is the license valid for?

The license is good until Dec 31 of the year of issuance. All fees for the next year’s license are due by that day.

Is the license transferrable?

The license is non-transferable. If a change of ownership occurs, the new owner must fill out a new application and submit all required paperwork and fees.

When do annual inspections happen?

An inspector will contact you to schedule a time for an annual inspection. It does not need to occur before a license is renewed. However, if the establishment is being licensed for the first time, an inspection will need to be scheduled and passed before issuance of that first license.

What payment options are available for the licensing fee?

The payment options are: 

  • Credit Card
  • Cash
  • Check
  • Money Order
  • ONLINE Credit Card
  • ONLINE e-Check

All payments should be made to “City of Austin.”

My tenants stay for more than 30 days. Should I still use the Controller’s Office website to pay for my license?

No. To use this website, you MUST set up a Tax Account with the City Controller. This means that you would have to turn in a “zero report” every quarter to prove that you do not need to pay Hotel Occupancy Taxes. Please choose another payment method.

Licensing a short-term rental

How much is short-term rental licensing?

A total of $863.80 is due at the time your application is submitted. The application fee is non-refundable. This includes $817 for the Licensing Fee, the notification fee of $45, and the DSD Technology fee of $1.80. 

What payment options are available for the licensing and notification fee?

The payment options are:  

  • Cash
  • Check
  • Money Order
  • ONLINE Credit Card
  • ONLINE e-Check

All payments are made to “City of Austin”

Does proof of Hotel Occupancy Tax apply to everyone?

Yes. Every person owning, operating, managing, controlling, or collecting payment for occupancy in any hotel (or short-term rental) shall collect the Hotel Occupancy Tax (HOT) from their guests for the City. A tax payment account is required before a license will be issued.

Exceptions: Short-term rentals located in Austin's Limited Purpose Jurisdiction (LTD) are not subject to City of Austin Hotel Occupancy Tax but are required to obtain a license. Short term rentals located in the Extra Territorial Jurisdiction (ETJ) do not need a license or pay local Hotel Occupancy Tax (HOT).

Where do I pay my Hotel Occupancy Tax?

You may call the City of Austin, Financial Services: Controller's Office at 512-974-2590, then press 1, or email:

You may also pay online at

If there were no rentals during the reporting period, a zero report must be filed.

How long is the short-term rental operating license valid for?

The Short-Term Rental Operating License is for valid for 12 months from the time of approval and may be renewed on an annual basis. License can be renewed up to 60 days prior to the expiration date.

Is my short-term rental license transferable?

No, the Short-Term Rental Operating License is non-transferable. This is per Ordinance #20120802-122, “a license may not be transferred and does not covey with the sale or transfer or the property”.

What if I don’t get a license for my short-term rental?

Failure to obtain the required license is a violation of Austin City Code (operating without a license) and may result in enforcement action, including citations and fines.

How do I get a Certificate of Occupancy?

Visit the Certificate of Occupancy webpage at Development Services for more information.

Registering a boat dock

What is a boat dock?

As per the ordinance definition, a boat dock “includes a wharf, pier, float, floating dock, island, boat dock, boat slip, boat lift, stationary platform, or other similar structure.”

Why do I have to register my boat dock?

City Ordinance 20140626-113 requires you to provide proper addressing of your boat dock. This is a mandatory measure put forth by the City of Austin.

How do I address my boat dock?

graphic showing where to put boat dock address

To properly address your boat dock, your address should be located on the front of your boat dock and displayed above normal pool elevation. The signage must include the street address of the primary property associated with the dock on the lakeward side of the dock facing centerline of the lake or slough on which it is located. The letters and numbers must be at a minimum of two inches in height and must contrast with the background they are placed on (the preferred lettering is reflective but this is left at the owner’s discretion). The signage must be constructed with materials that resist water damage and deterioration by ultraviolet light.

How do I register?

There are three options to register your boat dock: by mail, in person, and online. The steps are as follows:  

  1. Complete the registration form found on  
  2. Attach current photos for proof of addressing.   
  3. Submit the registration form and photos:   
  • Mail: Via USPS Certified Mail/Return Receipt Requested to City of Austin-Development Services, Attn: Environmental Inspections, P.O. Box 1088, Austin, TX 78767.
  • Walk-in: The registration form may be submitted in person at the City of Austin Permitting and Development Center, 6310 Wilhelmina Delco Dr, Austin, TX 78752. This is not a mailing address. Registrations mailed to this address will be returned.
  • Online: The form and photos may be emailed to   
What happens after I submit my registration?

After DSD Environmental Inspections has received your registration form with current photos, they will process your application. Once received, you will be sent a confirmation notice. To get in touch with DSD Environmental Inspections, please call 512-974-2278. Hours of operation are Monday through Friday from 7:00 a.m. - 3:30 p.m. If you do not receive anything from the Austin Code Department regarding your boat dock registration after one week, please reach out through email at If your submitted registration form is somehow incomplete or invalid, DSD Environmental Inspections will reach out to you. 

How much does it cost to register?

There are no fees to register your boat dock.

Do I need to renew my registration and if so when?

Yes, you will need to renew your boat dock registration. Residential properties need to renew every 5 years. Commercial properties are required to renew every 2 years. 

What if I have more than one boat dock at my address?

For those who may have more than one boat dock structure (for definitions of boat docks see "What is a Boat Dock?”) located at the same address, you will only need to address one of the structures. At your discretion, address your most prominent boat dock. For all other questions, please email

Repeat Offender Program

Why am I being required to register?

The City of Austin requires multi-family and single-family rental properties (not occupied by the owner) that have met the following conditions to register for the Repeat Offender Program:

  • (2) Received two or more separate notices of violation for conditions that are dangerous (likely to cause physical harm or injury to someone) or impair habitability (impair the quality of life for a tenant, such as problems with hot water, electrical service, heating, electrical hazard or infestation) for the same property within 24 consecutive months and failed to correct the violations within the time frame required.
  • (5) Received five or more separate notices of violation for conditions that are dangerous or impair habitability (as defined above) which are issued on separate days for the same property with a 24-month period regardless of whether the violation was corrected or not. 
  • (2) Was issued two or more citations for the same property within 24 consecutive months.
How long will I be given to register?

The owner of a property must register within 14 days. If the owner would like to appeal the registration, they must submit a statement that supports the appeal. This must be in writing within 10 days and sent to:

City of Austin, DSD Code Compliance, Attn: ROP

PO Box 1088

Austin, TX 78767

How much does registration cost?

Registration is $674.

What information is required on the registration application?

The owner will be asked to provide their name, address, telephone number, and email address. If the owner is a corporation or association, the name and address of the registered agent on file with the Texas Secretary of State will be required. The owner will also need to provide the number of individual rental units and buildings at the property and a telephone number that will be answered 24 hours a day by a local contact (i.e.: emergency phone number).

Will I be required to display the registration certificate?

The registration certificate must be displayed at the property. In addition, signs in English and Spanish must include the emergency phone number for the property and information regarding how to report code violations. One sign for each 50 unit will need to be displayed and must be 12 inches x 24 inches and on weather-proof material.

Are there any exceptions?

Exceptions only apply to owner-occupied rentals and units regulated by another section of the code (such as hotels, motels, and bed and breakfasts).

What if I sell the property?

Registration is non-transferable. If the property is sold, the new owner will have 30 days to submit a new Repeat Offender application and pay a new registration fee (if applicable). If the rental property is made compliant within 90 days after the property is sold, the property will be taken off of the Repeat Offender list.

How long will I remain on the Repeat Offender list?

The property owner will remain on the repeat offender list for a minimum of two years. This information will also be available to the public at:

Esta página contiene respuestas a las preguntas más frecuentes a la Unidad de Cumplimiento de Códigos del Departamento de Servicios de Desarrollo. Si tiene preguntas sobre infracciones específicas del código, consulte nuestra lista de infracciones comunes del código o consulte la biblioteca de códigos municipales.

¿Todavía tiene preguntas? Llame a DSD Code Connect al 512-974-CODE [512-974-2633] o envíe un correo electrónico a para comunicarse con un inspector de códigos experimentado.

Tengo una pregunta sobre:

DSD Code Connect

¿Qué es DSD Code Connect a la Unidad de Cumplimiento de Códigos del Departamento de Servicios de Desarrollo ?

DSD Code Connect es un programa que permite a los residentes comunicarse con a la Unidad de Cumplimiento de Códigos del Departamento de Servicios de Desarrollo y hablar con un facilitador experimentado. Hay servicios de interpretación disponibles. Los facilitadores pueden

  • ayudar con preguntas generales de código
  • proporcionar orientación sobre recursos
  • dar actualizaciones sobre los casos existentes

¡DSD Code Connect está aquí para informar, guiar y educar!

¿Qué puedo esperar cuando llamo a DSD Code Connect?

Un facilitador de DSD Code Connect evaluará su pregunta o la situación que está presentando. Luego, el facilitador le ayudará a obtener la respuesta a su pregunta o encontrar la manera para resolver su situación.

¿Puedo llamar a DSD Code Connect de forma anónima?

Sí, puede llamar a DSD Code Connect y hacer que su información permanezca confidencial.

¿Por qué debo llamar a DSD Code Connect?

El program DSD Code Connect brinda apoyo de servicio al cliente inmediato para residentes. Puede usarlo para recopilar información sobre los casos del código de Austin u obtener otra información educativa sobre el código de forma directa y rápida.

¿Puedo llamar al inspector de códigos asignado a mi caso?

Absolutamente, le recomendamos que conozca y hable con el inspector de códigos asignado a su caso. Si no está seguro de quién es el inspector asignado, puede comunicarse con Code Connect para averiguarlo.

¿Qué hago si mi llamada está fuera del horario de atención de DSD Code Connect?

La línea DSD Code Connect cuenta con personal de lunes a viernes de 8:00 a.m. a 4:00 p.m. Fuera de este horario, llame al 3-1-1. También puede enviar un correo electrónico a y un representante le responderá durante horas hábiles.

¿A quién llamo sobre permisos y planes para adiciones a mi casa, terrazas y otras preguntas similares?

Las preguntas sobre permisos de zonificación, construcción y comercio, o requisitos para construir o renovar estructuras en su propiedad pueden dirigirse al Departamento de Servicios de Desarrollo. Visite para programar una cita. También puede llamar a la línea de citas al 512-978-4504.

Los requisitos del código

Nota: Si tiene alguna pregunta sobre una infracción específica del código, consulte nuestra lista de infracciones comunes del código o consulte la biblioteca de códigos municipales.

¿Qué es el Código Internacional de Mantenimiento de la Propiedad?

El Código Internacional de Mantenimiento de la Propiedad (IPMC por sus siglas en inglés) es un código modelo que regula los requisitos mínimos de mantenimiento para edificios residenciales y comerciales existentes. El IPMC tiene como objetivo establecer estándares mínimos para aspectos básicos como las condiciones estructurales, la iluminación, la ventilación, el saneamiento y la seguridad contra incendios. Los municipios de todo el mundo, incluyendo la ciudad de Austin, utilizan el IPMC como plantilla para sus códigos de mantenimiento de propiedades. Obtenga más información sobre cómo la ciudad de Austin ha adaptado el IPMC.

¿Quién es mi inspector de código? ¿Cómo lo contacto?

Puede encontrar a su inspector de código utilizando nuestro mapa interactivo. Su número de teléfono y correo electrónico aparecerán en la lista para que pueda contactarlos directamente. Si no ve a su inspector de código o si necesita ayuda, llame a Code Connect al 512-974-CODE [512-974-2633] o envíe un correo electrónico a

Creo que tengo moho creciendo en mi casa/apartamento. ¿La Unidad de Cumplimiento de Códigos del Departamento de Servicios de Desarrollo  abordará el problema del moho?

La Unidad de Cumplimiento de Códigos del Departamento de Servicios de Desarrollo  no realiza inspecciones ni pruebas de moho. Podemos abordar los factores contribuyentes que caen dentro de los estándares mínimos. El moho es a menudo un signo de otras infracciones del código. Obtenga más información sobre cómo lidiar con el moho si vive en una vivienda de alquiler.

¿Estoy obligado a tener un detector de monóxido de carbono en mi casa/apartamento?

Sí. De acuerdo con el código de la ciudad, cualquier estructura que se utilice para fines residenciales y que use gas o aparatos que queman combustible y/o que tenga un garaje adjunto que se conecte a la estructura, debe instalar y mantener detectores de monóxido de carbono (CO). El propietario o administrador de la propiedad es responsable de la instalación y el mantenimiento de los detectores de CO. Los detectores se pueden comprar en línea o en tiendas locales. Obtenga más información sobre dónde deben colocarse los detectores y los efectos del envenenamiento por monóxido de carbono.

¿Se requiere que mi casa/apartamento tenga aislamiento?

En la mayoría de los casos, sí. Sin embargo, la aplicación de los requisitos de aislamiento se realiza como parte del proceso de permisos e inspecciones para nuevas construcciones y renovaciones. La Unidad de Cumplimiento de Códigos del Departamento de Servicios de Desarrollo  no hace cumplir los requisitos de aislamiento. Para obtener más información sobre los requisitos de aislamiento, comuníquese con los Servicios de Información sobre Desarrollo de Terrenos.

Cómo obtener una licencia de transportista privado

¿Por qué los transportistas necesitan una licencia?

Todos los transportistas privados que recolectan, retiran o transportan desechos, reciclaje y/o compost orgánico dentro de la Ciudad de Austin deben obtener una Licencia de Transportista Privado (Ordenanza No. 20120628-012, Código de la Ciudad de Austin 15-6, Artículo 3). La licencia debe renovarse anualmente y no es transferible.

¿Cómo obtengo o renuevo una licencia de transportista privado?

Para obtener instrucciones completas sobre cómo obtener o renovar una licencia, visite

Un solicitante debe hacer lo siguiente para recibir una licencia:

  • Completar una Solicitud de Licencia de Transportista Privado (PDF 437KB).
  • Incluya lo siguiente al a la Unidad de Cumplimiento de Códigos del Departamento de Servicios de Desarrollo :
  • Certificación de seguro
  • Certificación de inspección vehicular anual del estado de Texas para cada vehículo con licencia
  • Tarifa de licencia de vehículo: $647 anualmente por cada vehículo que transporta residuos sólidos (los vehículos que solo transportan reciclaje/compost están exentos de la tarifa)
  • Informe de tonelaje/formulario de remesa: informe del periodo anterior
  • Envíe la solicitud de las siguientes maneras:
    • Envíe por correo electrónico su solicitud y documentos completos a
    • Envíe por correo su solicitud y documentos completos a:
      • Ciudad de Austin—La Unidad de Cumplimiento de Códigos del Departamento de Servicios de Desarrollo 
      • Atención: Finanzas - Transportistas de residuos
      • PO BOX 1088, Austin, TX 78767
      • (Debe presentar los documentos originales para que se emitan sus licencias).
  • Llame al 512-974-9144 para programar una cita para entregar formularios y pagos en persona

Las oficinas del programa privado de transporte de residuos sólidos y reciclaje están ubicadas en 6310 Wilhelmina Delco Dr., Austin, TX 78752. Esta no es una dirección postal. Las solicitudes enviadas por correo a esta dirección serán devueltas.

¿Cuánto es la tarifa de licencia de residuos sólidos? ¿Cuánto es la tarifa de la licencia de reciclaje?

La tarifa de licencia para vehículos de desechos sólidos es de $647 por vehículo / por año. La tarifa debe pagarse antes de/o el último día hábil de enero de cada año.

Los vehículos y contenedores de reciclaje están exentos de tarifas siempre y cuando se utilicen exclusivamente para recolectar materiales reciclables y tengan licencias azules de reciclaje. Las calcomanías de licencia deben colocarse permanentemente en las puertas exteriores del vehículo.

¿Qué pasa si transporto sin licencia?

Los delitos se castigan con una multa de hasta $2,000 y, en la primera condena, no menos de $100. La multa mínima se duplicará en la segunda condena por el mismo delito dentro de cualquier período de 24 meses y se triplicará en la tercera y subsiguientes condenas por el mismo delito dentro de cualquier período de 24 meses.

¿Se puede revocar una licencia?

Sí, el Departamento de Códigos de Austin puede revocar una licencia si el titular de la licencia no cumple con la ley, paga las tarifas requeridas o presenta los informes requeridos.

¿A quién puedo contactar acerca de los requisitos de licencia y presentación de informes?

Comuníquese con nuestro especialista del programa de licencias al 512-974-9035 para obtener información sobre los requisitos de licencias e informes.

¿Qué son los residuos sólidos? ¿Qué es el reciclaje?

Los residuos sólidos son basura, desperdicios y otros materiales desechados, como llantas y desechos de construcción (por ejemplo, basura o escombros de basureros).

El reciclaje es un proceso mediante el cual los materiales se recolectan, clasifican, procesan o preparan en productos comercializables para fabricar nuevos productos.

¿Es un problema el vertido ilegal en Austin?

Sí, la ciudad de Austin gasta $250,000 por año en la limpieza de propiedades donde muebles, llantas y chatarra han sido tirados ilegalmente.

Recojo basura y/o materiales reciclables fuera de los límites de la ciudad (Austin) pero conduzco por Austin. ¿Necesito una licencia?

Según la Ordenanza No. 20120628-012, no necesita una licencia. El requisito de licencia es para las empresas que recolectan basura y/o materiales reciclables en Austin.

¿Cómo encuentro un transportista con licencia en Austin?

Puede encontrar una lista de transportistas autorizados en

Cómo obtener una licencia para una casa de huéspedes/pensión

¿Cuáles son los requisitos de licencia para las casas de huéspedes/pensiones?

La Unidad de Cumplimiento de Códigos del Departamento de Servicios de Desarrollo  exige una solicitud anual, una tarifa, una inspección de la propiedad y un certificado de ocupación antes de la emisión de una licencia de funcionamiento. Obtenga más información sobre cómo obtener una licencia de alojamiento/pensión.

¿Cuánto es la tarifa de licencia de casa de huéspedes/pensión?

Las tarifas se basan en el número de dormitorios en el establecimiento. Cuestan $489 + $13 por cada dormitorio. Los honorarios son prorrateados por trimestre. Las tarifas no son reembolsables.

¿Qué sucede si el estado inspecciona o regula mi casa de huéspedes/pensión?

Aún necesitará tener una licencia de la Ciudad de Austin.

¿Se aplica el requisito de licencia a las casas correccionales de medio camino, las casas de sobriedad, las casas de enfermería e instalaciones similares?

Sí. Todos los establecimientos con 16 o más adultos viviendo en él DEBEN tener una licencia.

¿Qué pasa si mi casa de huéspedes/pensión está clasificada bajo zona residencial?

Por ley, una estructura zonificada residencialmente no puede albergar a más de 15 personas.

Se pueden conceder excepciones para personas con ciertas discapacidades. Para hacer esto, una persona con una discapacidad o alguien que represente a una persona con una discapacidad debe presentar una Solicitud de Adaptación Razonable (RA por sus siglas en inglés) a la Ciudad de Austin. El formulario de solicitud de RA se puede descargar en Éste se puede entregar directamente a la Oficina de la Ley de Estadounidenses con Discapacidades (ADA) de la Ciudad de Austin o a la Unidad de Cumplimiento de Códigos del Departamento de Servicios de Desarrollo con la Solicitud de Licencia de Funcionamiento.

Consulte para obtener más información sobre el programa de casas de huéspedes/pensiones.

¿Por cuánto tiempo es válida la licencia?

La licencia es válida hasta el 31 de diciembre del año de emisión. Todas las tarifas para la licencia del próximo año deben pagarse ese día.

¿La licencia es transferible?

No, la licencia es intransferible. Si se produce un cambio de propietario, el nuevo propietario debe completar una nueva solicitud y presentar toda la documentación y las tarifas requeridas.

¿Cuándo se realizan las inspecciones anuales?

Un inspector se comunicará con usted para programar una fecha para una inspección anual. No es necesario que ocurra antes de que se renueve la licencia. Sin embargo, si el establecimiento obtiene la licencia por primera vez, será necesario programar y aprobar una inspección antes de la emisión de esa primera licencia.

¿Qué opciones de pago están disponibles para la tarifa de licencia?

Las opciones de pago son:

  • Tarjeta de crédito
  • Dinero
  • Cheque
  • Giro postal
  • Tarjeta de crédito EN LÍNEA
  • Cheque electrónico EN LÍNEA

Todos los pagos se realizan a "City of Austin"

Mis inquilinos se quedan más de 30 días. ¿Debo seguir usando el sitio web de la Oficina del Controlador para pagar mi licencia?

No. Para usar el sitio web de la Oficina del Controlador, es necesario configurar una Cuenta de Impuestos con el Controlador de la Ciudad. Si sus inquilinos no se quedan por menos de 30 días, tendría que entregar un "informe cero" cada trimestre para demostrar que no necesita pagar impuestos de ocupación hotelera. Elija otro método de pago.

Cómo obtener una licencia de un alquiler a corto plazo

¿Cuánto cuesta la licencia de alquiler a corto plazo?

Se debe pagar un total de $863.80 al momento de enviar su solicitud. La tarifa de solicitud no es reembolsable. Esto incluye $817 para la tarifa de licencia, la tarifa de notificación de $45 y la tarifa de tecnología DSD de $1.80.

¿Qué opciones de pago están disponibles para la tarifa de licencia y notificación?

Las opciones de pago son:

Todos los pagos se realizan a "City of Austin"

¿La prueba del impuesto de ocupación hotelera se aplica a todos?

Sí. Toda persona que posee, opere, administre, controle o cobre el pago por la ocupación en cualquier hotel (o alquiler a corto plazo) cobrará el Impuesto por Ocupación Hotelera de sus huéspedes para la ciudad. Se requiere una cuenta de pago de impuestos antes de que se emita una licencia.

Excepciones: los alquileres a corto plazo ubicados en la Jurisdicción de Propósito Limitado (LTD) de Austin no están sujetos al impuesto de ocupación hotelera de la ciudad de Austin, pero se requiere obtener una licencia. Los alquileres de corto plazo ubicados en la Jurisdicción Extra Territorial (ETJ) no necesitan licencia ni pagan Impuesto de Ocupación Hotelera (HOT) local.

¿Dónde pago mi impuesto de ocupación hotelera?

Puede llamar a la Ciudad de Austin, Servicios Financieros: Oficina del Controlador al 512-974-2590, luego presione 1, o envíe un correo electrónico a:

También puede pagar en línea.

Si no hubo alquileres durante el período del informe, se debe presentar un informe de cero.

¿Por cuánto tiempo es válida la licencia de operación de alquiler a corto plazo?

La licencia de operación de alquiler a corto plazo es válida por 12 meses desde el momento de la aprobación y puede renovarse anualmente. La licencia se puede renovar hasta 60 días antes de la fecha de vencimiento.

¿Es transferible mi licencia de alquiler a corto plazo?

No, la Licencia de operación de alquiler a corto plazo no es transferible según la Ordenanza n.º 20120802-122, "una licencia no se puede transferir y no cubre la venta o transferencia de la propiedad."

¿Qué sucede si no obtengo una licencia para mi alquiler a corto plazo?

No obtener la licencia requerida es una infracción del Código de la Ciudad de Austin (operar sin licencia) y puede resultar en una acción de ejecución, incluidas citaciones y multas.

¿Cómo obtengo un certificado de ocupación?

Visite la página web del certificado de ocupación en el Departamento de Servicios de Desarrollo para obtener más información.

Cómo registrar un muelle de barcos

¿Qué es un muelle de barcos?

Según la definición de la ordenanza, un muelle para botes “incluye un muelle, muelle, flotador, dique flotante, isla, muelle para botes, elevador para botes, plataforma estacionaria u otra estructura similar.”

¿Por qué tengo que registrar el muelle de mi barco?

La ordenanza de la ciudad 20140626-113 requiere que proporcione la dirección adecuada de su embarcadero. Esta es una medida obligatoria presentada por la Ciudad de Austin.

¿Cómo le consigo dirección al muelle de mi barco?

cómo poner la dirección en un muelle de barco

Para ubicar correctamente la dirección de su embarcadero, su dirección debe colocarse en el frente de su embarcadero y mostrarse por encima de la elevación normal del agua. La señalización debe incluir la dirección de la calle de la propiedad principal asociada con el muelle en el lado del muelle que da al lago frente a la línea central del lago o lodazal en el que se encuentra. Las letras y los números deben tener un mínimo de dos pulgadas de altura y deben contrastar con el fondo sobre el que se colocan (las letras preferidas son reflectantes, pero esto se deja a discreción del propietario). La señalización debe estar construida de materiales que resistan al agua y el deterioro por la luz ultravioleta. 

¿Cómo me registro?

Hay tres opciones para registrar el muelle de su barco: por correo, en persona y en línea. Los pasos son los siguientes: 

  1. Complete el formulario de registro (en inglés) que se encuentra en
  2. Adjunte fotos actuales como comprobante de dirección. 
  3. Envíe el formulario de inscripción y las fotos: 
  • Correo: por correo certificado de USPS/con comprobante de recibo a City of Austin-Development Services, Attn: Environmental Inspections, P.O. Box 1088, Austin, TX 78767. 
  • En persona: El formulario de registro se puede presentar en persona en el Centro de Permisos y Desarrollo de la Ciudad de Austin, 6310 Wilhelmina Delco Dr., Austin, TX 78752. Esta no es una dirección postal. Las registraciones enviadas por correo a esta dirección serán devueltas. 
  • En línea: El formulario y las fotos pueden enviarse por correo electrónico a
¿Qué sucede después de enviar mi formulario?

Después de que la Unidad de Inspecciones Ambientales del Departamento de Servicios de Desarrollo haya recibido su formulario de registro con fotos actuales, procesará su solicitud. Una vez recibido, se le enviará un aviso de confirmación. Para ponerse en contacto con la Unidad de Inspecciones Ambientales, llame al 512-974-2278. El horario de atención al cliente es de lunes a viernes de 7:00 am a 3:30 pm. Si no recibe nada de la Unidad de Inspecciones Ambientales de Departamento de Servicios de Desarrollo con respecto al registro de su embarcadero después de una semana, comuníquese por correo electrónico a Si su formulario está incompleto o no es válido, la Unidad de Inspecciones Ambientales se comunicará con usted.

¿Cuánto cuesta registrarse?

No hay tarifas para registrar el muelle de su barco.

¿Necesito renovar mi registro y, de ser así, cuándo?

Sí, deberá renovar su registro de muelle de embarcaciones. Las propiedades residenciales deben renovarse cada 5 años. Las propiedades comerciales deben renovarse cada 2 años.

¿Qué pasa si tengo más de un muelle en mi dirección?

Para aquellos que puedan tener más de una estructura de muelle para botes (para la definición de un muelle para botes, consulte "¿Qué es un muelle para botes?") ubicada en la misma dirección, solo necesitará dirección para una de las estructuras. A su discreción escoja el muelle más prominente. Para cualquier otra pregunta, envíe un correo electrónico a

Repeat Offender Program (El Programa de Infractores Reincidentes)

¿Por qué estoy obligado a registrarme?

La ciudad de Austin requiere registrar propiedades de alquiler multifamiliares y unifamiliares (no ocupadas por el propietario) que hayan cumplido con las siguientes condiciones en el Programa de Infractores Reincidentes (ROP por sus siglas en inglés): 

  • (2) Recibió dos o más notificaciones separadas de infracción por condiciones que son peligrosas (pueden causar daño físico o lesiones a alguien) o perjudiquen la habitabilidad (perjudiquen la calidad de vida de un inquilino, como problemas con agua caliente, servicio eléctrico, calefacción, riesgo eléctrico o infestación) en la misma propiedad dentro de 24 meses consecutivos y no corrigió las infracciones dentro del plazo requerido. 
  • (5) Recibió cinco o más notificaciones separadas de infracción por condiciones que son peligrosas o perjudican la habitabilidad (como se define anteriormente) que se emitieron en días separados para la misma propiedad dentro de un período de 24 meses, independientemente de si la infracción se corrigió o no. 
  • (2) Se emitieron dos o más citaciones a la misma propiedad dentro de 24 meses consecutivos. 
¿Cuánto tiempo me darán para registrarme?

El propietario debe registrarse dentro de 14 días. Si el propietario desea apelar el registro, debe presentar una declaración que respalde la apelación. Esto debe ser por escrito dentro de 10 días y enviado a: 

Ciudad de Austin, La Unidad de Cumplimiento de Códigos del Departamento de Servicios de Desarrollo 

Attn: ROP 

PO BOX 1088 

Austin, Texas 78767 

¿Cuánto cuesta el registro?

El costo es de $674.

¿Qué información se requiere en la solicitud de registro?

Se le pedirá al propietario su nombre, dirección, número de teléfono y dirección de correo electrónico. Si el propietario es una corporación o asociación, se requerirá el nombre y la dirección del agente registrado en los archivos de la Secretaría de Estado de Texas. El propietario también deberá proporcionar el número de unidades de alquiler individuales y edificios en la propiedad y un número de teléfono que será atendido las 24 horas del día por un contacto local (es decir, el número de teléfono de emergencia).

¿Se me pedirá que muestre el certificado de registro?

El certificado de registro debe mostrarse en la propiedad. Además, los letreros en inglés y español deben incluir el número de teléfono de emergencia de la propiedad e información sobre cómo denunciar infracciones del código. Se deberá mostrar un letrero por cada 50 unidades y debe ser de 12 pulgadas x 24 pulgadas y en material resistente a la intemperie.

¿Hay alguna excepción?

Las excepciones solo se aplican a los alquileres ocupados por el propietario y las unidades reguladas por otra sección del código (como hoteles, moteles y posadas).

¿Qué pasa si vendo la propiedad?

El registro es intransferible. Si se vende la propiedad, el nuevo propietario tendrá 30 días para presentar una nueva solicitud de reincidente y pagar una nueva tarifa de registro (si corresponde). Si la propiedad de alquiler cumple con los requisitos dentro de los 90 días posteriores a la venta de la propiedad, la propiedad se eliminará de la lista de infractores reincidentes.

¿Cuánto tiempo permaneceré en la lista de reincidentes?

El dueño de la propiedad permanecerá en la lista de reincidentes por un mínimo de dos años. Esta información también estará disponible para el público en: