The City of Austin requires certain permits for filming in Austin public spaces, including if filming occurs in a right-of-way, City of Austin park, Austin Public Library, and Austin-Bergstrom International Airport.

Visit Filming in Austin - City of Austin Contacts for more information or contact Kim McCarson at 512-974-7963 with any questions.

For general information on filming in Austin, visit the Austin Film Commission.

Temporary Use of Streets and Sidewalks

  • The City of Austin requires a permit for using a street or sidewalk for filming in Austin.
  • Applications must be submitted 2 to 3 days prior to filming, depending on the type of film. Applications can be submitted through the Right of Way Management Approval Network.
  • There are no fees required for this permit.
  • There is an insurance requirement of $500,000 of general liability insurance that lists the City of Austin as an additional insured.
  • If you are requesting any closures of the right-of-way, a traffic control plan must be submitted as a part of the permit application.
  • A map of the area being permitted must also be submitted.
  • Notification of affected property owners or residents is required for all permits except B-roll.
  • Notification of the Austin Police Department is required.

    For other details about this permit, please contact Right of Way Management at 512-974-1150.

City of Austin Parks

  • To film at City of Austin Parks permitting inquiries must be made through the Parks & Recreation Department (see the film permit section for filming permit application). Please contact Jason Maurer, Special Events Office Manager, City of Austin Parks & Recreation Department, at and 512-974-6797.

Austin-Bergstrom International Airport (ABIA)

  • Visit the airport website for a list of guidelines and to download an application form provided by the City's Department of Aviation.

State of Texas

  • Capital Grounds: If you would like to film on the State Capital Grounds, you must make a request to the State Preservation Board.
  • Public Properties: In order to film on a state-owned building, park, or other property a request must be submitted to the Texas Film Commission. For further information please contact and 512-463-9200.

University of Texas at Austin

  • All campus filming inquires should be directed to Paige Tuttle, Media Relations Assistant, University of Texas at Austin, at and 512-471-2389.