The Austin Fire Department's hiring process (Candidate Interest Card through Final Employment Offer) is comprised of two phases: The first phase consists of the application period, written exam, and Structured Oral Assessment Process (SOP); the second phase begins with the Pre-hire Assessments (candidates who receive conditional offers of employment must successfully complete all of the Pass/Fail pre-hire assessments; otherwise, candidates are disqualified).
Candidates who complete both the written exam and the oral interview will receive a composite score. Applicable veteran preference points will then be applied. That total will determine a candidate’s place on the Ranked Eligibility List.
The Austin Fire Department reserves the right to update, change, cancel, and/or alter any dates and times listed below with or without notice.
The Austin Fire Department has adopted and follows Texas Local Government Code 143. This code also addresses eligibility for a beginning position for a Firefighter, which includes age and eligibility for future certification.
The following are the minimum requirements for a Fire Cadet. Applicants must meet all requirements as of May 18, 2023:
- AGE: Applicants must be at least 18 years of age but not exceed age 35 on the day the written exam is administered.
- EDUCATION: Must possess a high school diploma or GED.
- CITIZENSHIP: U.S. (birth or naturalized). If you are not a United States' citizen, your immigration status must be current and must permit you to work a full-time job in this country. Applicants must have a valid Social Security card. If you have questions about your immigration status or work permit, please contact United States Citizenship and Immigration Services.
- LANGUAGE: Must be able to read, write, and speak English.
- DRIVER LICENSE: Must possess a current valid driver license issued from your state of residence.
- SOCIAL SECURITY: Must have a valid Social Security card.
- MEDICAL: Must meet the requirements set forth in NFPA 1582, Latest Edition, Standard on medical requirements for Firefighters. If you have questions about the requirements, please contact NFPA or a medical professional.
- ELIGIBLE FOR FUTURE CERTIFICATIONS: Meet all legal requirements necessary to become certified by:
If you have questions about your ability to become certified, please contact the appropriate agency directly.