It adds up! One pile of pet waste might not seem like a lot; however, more than 250,000 dogs live in Austin, generating 150,000 pounds of waste throughout the city every day. When not disposed of properly, this waste washes into local waterways and causes problems with:
Human and Pet Health
- Other viruses and parasites
- Overgrowth of algae and aquatic weeds
- Reduced oxygen for fish
- Unsafe recreational areas for fishing or enjoying
What Can I Do?
- Bring It! Carry a scooper bag when you walk your dog.
- Scoop It! Use the baggie like a glove, scoop the poop, invert and seal the bag.
- Toss It! It belongs in the trash.
- Place a Sign! Put a “Scoop the Poop” sign in your yard to encourage your neighbors to scoop it up too!
* Scoop the Poop yard signs are available for FREE to Austin residents.
Click here for answers to frequently asked questions.
Scoop the Poop en Español