If you are unable to pay a court fee, payment alternatives may be available to you. All payment alternatives must be approved by a judge. Proof of income and expenses is required, as well as two references.

1. File a plea

You must enter a plea in your case before any payment plan can be processed. You may plead "guilty" or "no contest." By a plea of guilty, you admit the act is prohibited by law and that you committed the act charged. A plea of no contest means that you will not dispute the charge against you. A plea of no contest may not be used against you in a future civil suit for damages.

2. Submit a financial affidavit

The financial affidavit serves as a report to the court of your income, expenses, and other criteria that might affect your eligibility for alternative payment options. In the financial affidavit, you will communicate to the court how you might be able to pay. Options include:

  • $75 per month or the total due to the court divided by 12 (whichever is greater). Payments are rounded up to the nearest whole dollar.
    • For example, if you owe $1,000 your monthly payment would be $1,000/12 = $84/month.
  • Regular payments after an extension
  • A lower monthly payment plan
  • Community service (the standard rate is $12.50/hour)
  • Going before a judge to discuss your particular case

A lower monthly payment plan and community service are options only given by a judge.

Request jail credit

If you have been incarcerated, you may request credit for time served. If you have not already entered a plea of guilty or no contest for the case(s) you are requesting jail credit for, you will be required to do so.

Request a hearing

Filing a plea of guilty or no contest is only for cases where you have decided to pay the fee and are looking for alternative payment options. You may also plead not guilty and request a hearing.