If you have an uncorrected code violation, you could receive a written citation for an administrative hearing. The citation includes pertinent statutory and regulatory sections. You must appear at the hearing and must do so on the date set in the administrative citation.
Prepare for your administrative hearing
Present at the administrative hearing will be the Hearing Officer and code officials. You are not required to have an attorney represent you. Here is how you can prepare:
- Know the facts supporting the violation.
- Bring documentation (i.e. photos, spreadsheets, receipts, site pans, correspondence, permits) that supports your presentation to the hearing officer.
- If you are attending onsite, bring two (2) extra copies of your do, one for the hearing officer and one for the code official.
- Representatives and witnesses are permitted in the Administrative Hearing process.
Request an interpreter / pida un intérprete
If you require the services of a language interpreter or sign language interpreter, promptly notify Austin Code Department at ACDCRED@austintexas.gov as soon as possible.
Español: Si necesita los servicios de un intérprete, debe notificarlo de inmediato al Departamento del Código de Austin a ACDCRED@austintexas.gov lo antes posible.
Administrative hearings take place at Suite 550 of 5202 East Ben White Blvd Austin, TX 78741. Please see map below or click here for directions. Free parking is available next to the building. Hearings take place Wednesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays in two sessions beginning at 9:00 a.m. and 1:00 p.m.
New: Attend remotely
Request a remote hearing by calling 512-974-9167 at least seven (7) business days before the hearing date listed in your notice.
Prepare for a remote hearing:
- Submit your case exhibits to ACDCRED@austintexas.gov seven (7) business days before the hearing date listed in your notice.
- Provide your representative and/or witnesses with log-on instructions.
- Join a few minutes early to make sure there are no issues connecting.
- Read the information sheet in English (PDF 479 KB) or Spanish (PDF 498 KB).
If you are unable to get into the hearing, call 512-974-9167 before the start time of your hearing.
When to expect the hearing officer's decision
The hearing officer may say his decision at the close of the hearing. But the hearing officer is not required to rule until the 14th day after the close of the hearing. The decision will be emailed to you or sent by U.S. mail.
If the decision is against you, there will be actions that you need to take to remedy the violation(s). The decision will also include deadlines and any other penalties assessed
If the decision is in your favor, either whole or in part, there will be actions that you and/or the City needs to take to remedy the violation(s). The decision will also include deadlines for performance.
Resolve the citation without a hearing
- For zoning violations, a mail-in-penalty option of $500.00 is available to resolve the citation for the first offense, $750.00 for the second offense and $1000.00 for every offense thereafter.
- For non-zoning violations, a mail-in-penalty option of $250.00 is available to resolve the citation for the first offense, $500.00 for the second offense and $750.00 for every offense thereafter.
The payment must be received within ten (10) days from the date of the citation and must reference the citation number on the submitted payment. Under this option, the violator is not required to appear for the hearing but is required to reach compliance to avoid further enforcement.
Failure to attend or late attendance
If you do not appear for the hearing, a default judgment will be entered against you.
Late arrivals that show up thirty (30) minutes or later after the hearing commences will be considered a “no show”.
To request a rescheduling of your hearing date, contact ACDCRED@austintexas.gov at least seven (7) days prior to the scheduled hearing date.
- For questions regarding this process, contact the Administrative Hearing Coordinator at (512) 974-9167 or ACDCRED@austintexas.gov.
- For information about your case or the related violation, please contact your assigned code inspector or Code Connect.
- For media attendance, please note that media must provide a 24-hour notice prior to arrival at an administrative hearing session.