Want a Free Tree?
City of Austin residents and Austin Energy customers are eligible for free trees from NeighborWoods. NeighborWoods is a free tree program that is a partnership between the City of Austin and local non-profit Tree Folks.
Want Free Mulch?
Help your tree thrive by properly mulching it. The Austin Resource Recovery Recycle & Reuse Drop – off Center provides free mulch for everyone. Please note that you must load the mulch yourself.
Planting a Tree?
Dial before you dig. Call 8-1-1 to have your underground utilities marked. This is a free service and can take up to one week.
Check out these tree planting resources for Austin:
- 11 Steps to Plant a Tree –Blog article
- Mulch is Key to a Healthy Tree – Blog Article
- Grow Green: How to Plant a Tree – Video (2:40)
- Grow Green: How to mulch a tree – Video (0:56)
- Visit Austin's Tree Information Center for all things tree.
Live outside the City of Austin Limits and want a tree?
- Check with your local municipality to see if they offer free tree programs.
- Go to Arbor Day Foundation to learn how you can get very low cost saplings or trees delivered to your door.
- The Texas Forest Service West Texas Nursery offers saplings at a very low cost.
Was your tree removed by Austin Energy?
If utility work required a tree to be removed, customers should consult their work plan (provided by Austin Energy) and contact the Austin Energy representative listed on the work plan to receive a replacement tree. If you are a customer who does not have a work plan, email the Austin Energy Forestry Division or call 512-322-6771 for more information.
Urban Forest Grant idea?
Do you have an idea to benefit Austin's urban forest? We encourage you to apply for an Urban Forest Grant, which can help fund your tree-related ideas.