The refugee and immigrant outreach liaison works with recently immigrated families. The liaison partners with neighborhood schools, churches and other organizations to provide civic education to recent immigrants encouraging their participation in school and police-related activities. Special emphasis is placed on organizing events that take place in the apartment complexes where large numbers of refugees and immgrants live. By going to the places where families and individuals live, we are able to introduce these individuals to police officers in a non-threatening environment and acquaint them with the laws and customs as they differ from those in Mexico or other countries. Safety fairs and workshops showcase the variety of community resources available to enhance safety and their sense of well being. For more information about the Refugee and Immigrant Outreach Program please contact ------------------ by phone at (512)
- Bank Robbery Prevention Training
- Address the problem of high incidences of Robbery against all immigrants citywide.
- Responding, and targeting "hot spot" areas if needed.
- Coordinate, participate in and organize Safety / Outreach events in the community by maintaining and building close relationships with non-governmental agencies and local governmental agencies.
- Develop and disseminate robbery unit brochure information on safety and prevention on a proactive / reactive basis.
- Orientation to Hispanic immigrants of all countries of origin not familiar with the laws, ordinances of the U.S., hopefully building a trust for law enforcement in the process.
- Assist the Robbery detectives with Spanish translation / interpretation. Facilitate dialogue between the non-Spanish speaking detectives with victims. Making phone calls to victims if needed for statements or to view photo lineups.
- Serve as an informal consultant for many NGOs such as Travis County DHS, on issues such as wage claims, driver license issues, human trafficking, housing, healthcare, and public education issues.
- Serve APD as a liaison for many NGOs including the Consul General of Mexico Office.
- Attend quarterly meetings of the Immigrant Services Network of Austin (ISNA).
- Attend and address Commander’s Forums as needed.