This program ensures proper food safety at all mobile food establishments, such as food trailers, motor vehicles, pushcarts, and kiosks.
The Special Permitting Unit is excited to announce a new system to schedule appointments for mobile vending application reviews. The new system, called Bookings, is effective now! Mobile Food Vendors can schedule, reschedule, and cancel their own appointments! Before scheduling your mobile food vendor permitting inspection, you will need to provide your name, your business name, phone number and email address. Appointments are available for 30 minute time slots from 8:00 AM to 10:30 AM on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
The Online Scheduler, Bookings, will automatically send you an appointment confirmation to your email. The confirmation email will include information on how you can reschedule or cancel your appointment. Each mobile food vendor permit requires their own appointment. Each person is limited to four appointments a day.
To schedule your mobile food vendor application review, go to the below links.
If you have any problems scheduling in Bookings, please call 512-978-0300 and tell them you need assistance scheduling your mobile food vendor application review appointment.
Mobile application review is by APPOINTMENT ONLY. Mobile food vendor permitting inspections will be scheduled upon completion of your application review and receipt of payment. No walk-ins or same day appointments for either application review or permitting inspections. Appointments can be made up to 45 days before the expiration of your mobile unit permit.
- Permit to Operate: This approval is required to complete the permitting process. Once approved, the owner will receive a physical permit and permission to operate a Mobile Food Unit.
- HACCP/Variance: Use this application to request a variance, allowing your establishment to deviate from the approved standards, and/or submit a Hazard Analysis Critical Control Point (HACCP) plan showing how you will mitigate risks to food safety.
Appointments are required for Mobile Vending application review and physical permitting inspections.View the inspection procedures here. Appointments are for 30 minutes on Tuesdays and Thursdays between 8:00 AM and 11:00 AM.
Permit Fee Schedule
- How to Start a Mobile Food Business: Find pertinent information on starting a mobile food business.
- Food Manager/Food Handler Requirements Requirements: Learn about the training and certification requirements for food enterprise personnel.
- Austin Fire Department Guides
- AFD's Fire Protection Guidelines: Find pertinent information on Austin Fire Department’s rules and regulations.
- Spanish Version of AFD's Fire Protection Guidelines.
- Propane System Inspection Report -- MANDATORY starting 1/1/2019
- Travis County's Fire/Safety Protection Guidelines: Travis County Fire Marshal inspection guidelines for all unrestricted mobile vendors obtaining a Travis County permit.
- Waste: Learn about waste and how to do your part to reduce it.
- Food Donation Facts: Learn about donating food for human consumption.
- Food Donation Guide: View the guidelines pertaining to food donation.
- Cottage Food Guidance: View guidance for food preparation operated out of homes..
Frequently Asked Questions
- Cottage Food FAQ: View frequently asked questions concerning the cottage food industry.
- Federal Drug Administration: 2017 Food Code
- State Regulations: Texas Food Establishment Rules (TFER)
- State Regulations: Texas Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act (Title 6, Chapter 431)
- Texas Administrative Code: Mobile Food Units (§228.221)
- Austin City Code: Food Code (Chapter 10-3)
- Austin City Code: Food Permit Application (Chapter 10-3-91)
Austin City Code: Smoking in Public Places (Chapter 10-6)
Austin City Code: Dogs Permitted in Outdoor Dining Areas (Ordinance No. 20151008-011)
County Regulations: Chapter 247, Travis County Food Establishment Permits'
Help us better serve our customers by providing feedback through our online survey.
To address a concern or request a second opinion regarding an inspection result or complaint, contact us at 512-978-0300 from 7:45 am to 4:45 pm Monday - Friday.