Access permitting information for music, film, creative spaces, and events:

  • For assistance with Outdoor Music Permits, e-mail Brian Block or call 512-974-7966.
  • For assistance with film and creative space permitting, email Kim McCarson or call 512-974-7963.

Creative Space Assistance


Film Production in Austin


Outdoor Amplified Sound for Music

  • Outdoor Amplified Sound - The City requires a permit for ALL commercial and non-residential establishments that use sound equipment outdoors (in any space that is not fully enclosed by four solid walls and a roof). These permits are reviewed by the Development Services Department's Entertainment Services Group.
  • Outdoor Music Venue Permit - Apply for an Outdoor Music Venue (OMV) Permit for your establishment
  • Residential Neighborhoods & Outdoor Amplified Sound – Outdoor Music Venue Permits cannot be issued for the use of sound equipment located within 100 feet of property zoned and used as "residential". Amplified sound without a permit is only allowed in residential areas 10am to 10pm CST and up to 75 decibels. Amplified sound may not be audible beyond the property line from 10 p.m. to 10 a.m.
  • Noise Ordinance - Chapter 9-2: Noise and Amplified Sound.


Special Event Permit


State of Texas Regulations and Tax Requirements for Venues/Special Events

Texas Music Office Special Events Guide - Learn about the Texas Alcohol and Beverage Commission's regulations, summary of taxes, and license fees.


Street Performing/Busking

Street performing (a.k.a. "busking") is legal in Austin and does not require a permit unless you are performing in a City park. Please obey the following City Code requirements and best practices:

  • Acoustic performances only, with sound at 85 decibels or under - No amplification allowed.
  • Don’t block sidewalks.
  • Noise or music cannot be audible to a nearby business or residence after 10:30 PM CST.
  • Always cooperate with Austin Police requests.
  • Safety first! Make sure you’re performing where people can safely gather without danger of stepping into a roadway.


Performing Artists in the Parks Permits – Performing artists may entertain in the parks if they are registered with and approved by the Parks and Recreation Department.

  • The permit fee for performing artists is $10 per day.
  • Permits may be purchased in two-week increments.
  • Contact 512-974-6797 for information.