Access permit information for music, film, creative spaces and events. For assistance, email Kim McCarson or call 512-974-7963.
Creative Space Assistance
- Austin Cultural Trust - Supports acquisition and preservation of arts, cultural, and music spaces within Austin.
- Creative Space Assistance Program - Funding support for permitting requirements for creative organizations facing temporary or permanent displacement.
- Development Services Department:
- Codes, Resources, Online Tools
- Development Process Team - Supports homeowners and small business owners.
- Austin Build + Connect (AB+C) - Apply for building permits, schedule inspections, pay for permits, and assign permits.
- Development Tracker - Sign up for permit alerts.
- Land Status Determination Wizard - Determine land status for properties.
- Property Profile - Search and download property information, view aerial images or street views, and run reports.
- Heritage Tourism Division - Provides funding for preservation, restoration, and rehabilitation of historic buildings, sites, and districts.
Film Production in Austin
- Getting Started
- City Permits - Determine if a permit is required for your production.
- City Contacts - Find City of Austin filming contacts.
- Film Production in Austin - Resources - Find helpful local and state resources.
Outdoor Amplified Sound for Music
- Outdoor Amplified Sound - For commercial establishments that use sound equipment outdoors.
- Noise and Amplified Sound Enforcement - Rules, activities, and violations.
- Residential Neighborhoods & Outdoor Amplified Sound – Outdoor Music Venue Permits cannot be issued for the use of sound equipment located within 100 feet of property zoned and used as "residential". Amplified sound without a permit is only allowed in residential areas 10am to 10pm CST and up to 75 decibels.
- Noise Ordinance - Chapter 9-2: Noise and Amplified Sound.
Special Event Permit
- Austin Center for Events (ACE) - Oversees permitting and planning for special events and festivals.
- Fiscal Year 2023 Austin Center for Events Fee Schedule - New fee costs starting October 1, 2022.
- Austin Center for Events Event Planning Guide - Special Event Permit and planning information.
- Special Events Updates - Community health updates.
State of Texas Regulations and Tax Requirements for Venues/Special Events
Texas Music Office Special Events Guide - Learn about the Texas Alcohol and Beverage Commission's regulations, summary of taxes, and license fees.
Street performing (a.k.a. "busking") is legal in Austin and does not require a permit unless you are performing in a City park. Please obey the following City Code requirements and best practices:
- Acoustic performances only, with sound at 85 decibels or under - No amplification allowed.
- Don’t block sidewalks.
- Noise or music cannot be audible to a nearby business or residence after 10:30 PM CST.
- Always cooperate with Austin Police requests.
- Safety first! Make sure you’re performing where people can safely gather without danger of stepping into a roadway.
Performing Artists in the Parks Permits – Performing artists may entertain in the parks if they are registered with and approved by the Parks and Recreation Department.
- The permit fee for performing artists is $10 per day.
- Permits may be purchased in two-week increments.
- Contact 512-974-6797 for information.