Several departments in the City of Austin work with businesses and residents on permitting processes for a variety of needs. See below to learn more and contact information for the appropriate department.
- Outdoor Amplified Sound for Music
Outdoor Amplified Sound requirements for music
Residential Neighborhoods & Outdoor Amplified Sound
- Outdoor Music Venue Permits cannot be issued for the use of sound equipment located within 100 feet of property zoned and used as "residential".
- Amplified sound without a permit is only allowed in residential areas 10am to 10pm CST and up to 75 decibels.
Noise Ordinance – Chapter 9-2: Noise and Amplified Sound
- Special Event Permit
Austin Center for Events – Oversees permitting and planning for special events and festivals.
- Film Production in Austin
- Creative Space Assistance
Creative Space Assistance Program – Funding support covering permitting requirements for creative organizations facing temporary or permanent displacement.
Development Process Team – Supports homeowners and small business owners.
- Austin Build + Connect (AB+C) – Apply for building permits, schedule inspections, pay for permits, assign permits, etc.
- Development Tracker – Sign up for permit alerts based on criteria selections that are of interest to you.
- Land Status Determination Wizard – Determine if a land status can be granted for a property.
- Property Profile – Search and download property information, view aerial images or street views, and run reports about properties.
- Public Search – AB+C can also be used to search for development & permitting cases. View search tips.
Heritage Tourism Division – Provides funding for preservation, restoration, and rehabilitation of historic buildings, sites, and districts.
Austin Cultural Trust – Supports acquisition and preservation of arts, cultural, and music spaces within Austin.
- Street Performing / Busking
Street performing (a.k.a. "busking") is legal in Austin and does not require a permit unless you are performing in a City park. Please obey the following City Code requirements and best practices:
- Acoustic performances only, with sound at 85 decibels or under - NO amplification allowed
- Don’t block sidewalks
- Noise or music cannot be audible to a nearby business or residence after 10:30 PM CST
- Always cooperate with Austin Police requests
- Safety first! Make sure you’re performing where people can safely gather without danger of stepping into a roadway
Performing Artists in the Parks Permits – Performing artists may entertain in the parks if they are registered with and approved by the Parks and Recreation Department.
- The permit fee for performing artists is $10 per day
- Permits may be purchased in two-week increments.
- Contact 512-974-6797 for information.
- State of Texas Regulations & Tax Requirements for Venues / Special Events