For information about Coronavirus (COVID-19) click here.
Please visit ATXRecovers.com for the latest resources and funding opportunities.
Special Events in Austin
Austin Center for Events (ACE)
Oversees permitting and planning for special events and festivals:
- Event safety guidelines, Special Event Updates: COVID-19.
- Special Event Permit and planning information, ACE Planning Guide.
- Special Event Permit outdoor amplified sound requirements, ACE Planning Guide Section.
Outdoor Music Venue Permits: Contact Brian Block in the City of Austin Development Services Department for information on permit requirements and application.
- Issued to outdoor live music venues for amplified sound.
- Apply for an OMV Permit, click here.
- Applicant Prepared Notice Agreement, click here.
Outdoor Amplified Music in Residential Neighborhoods
- Outdoor Music Venue Permits may not be issued for the use of sound equipment located within 100 feet of property zoned and used as "residential".
- Amplified sound without a permit is only allowed in residential areas 10am to 10pm CST and up to 75 decibels.
Noise Ordinance: Chapter 9-2: Noise and Amplified Sound
Creative Space Permitting & Development Support
The Development Process Team supports small businesses and homeowners through the permitting and development process by:
- Providing information about the development process.
- Offering a single point of contact for the duration of your project.
- Connecting you with the right resources every step of the way.
Contact the Development Process Team at (512) 974-1040 or DevelopmentProcessTeam@austintexas.gov
Film & Media Production
Click here for film & media production information for required permits in Austin.
Street performing (a.k.a. "busking") is legal in Austin and does not require a permit unless you are performing in a City park. Please obey the following City Code requirements and best practices:
- Acoustic performances only, with sound at 85 decibels or under - NO amplification allowed.
- Don’t block sidewalks.
- Noise or music cannot be audible to a nearby business or residence after 10:30 PM CST.
- Always cooperate with Austin Police requests.
- Safety first! Make sure you’re performing where people can safely gather without danger of stepping into a roadway.
- Performing Artists in the Parks Permits: Performing artists are allowed to entertain in the parks provided they are registered with and approved by the Parks and Recreation Department. The permit fee for performing artists is $10 per day, and permits may be purchased in two-week increments. Please call 512-974-6797 for information.