The Summer Playgrounds Program seeks to foster healthy living, character building, and teamwork through collaborative and active play. With intentional programming developed specifically for youth ages 6 to 12, the Summer Playgrounds Program creates a space for youth to engage in activities that provides opportunities for youth to learn tools and develop skills that can help lead them to a higher quality of life.
Providing opportunities for participants to learn their own strengths, appreciate the contributions of others, and learn the importance of encouraging others in order to build healthy and positive relationships within their communities.
Fostering a safe environment for students to build positive self-esteem, learn to communicate social and emotional needs in healthy ways, and develop individuality while maintaining a spirit of collaboration.
Teaching participants nutritional and fitness habits and providing information that helps lead to healthy living.
Summer Playgrounds 2021
The Summer Playgrounds Program for children 6-12 years of age returns to the following park locations from July 6 to August 13, 2021:
- Bartholomew District Park, 5201 Berkman Dr., 78723 (free meal site)
- Civitan Neighborhood Park, 513 Vargas Rd., 78741
- Davis White Northeast Neighborhood Park, 6705 Crystalbrook Dr., 78724 (free meal site)
- James A Garrison District Park, 6001 Menchaca Rd., 78745 (free meal site)
- Ramsey Neighborhood Park, 4301 Rosedale Ave., 78756
- Walnut Creek Metropolitan Park - 2138 N Lamar Blvd., 78758 (free meal site)
The program is free and runs Monday through Friday 9 AM to 5 PM with select sites serving free meals.
The Central Texas Food Bank in collaboration with the Austin Parks and Recreation is providing free lunches and snacks this summer for the children participating in the Summer Playgrounds Program. The following locations are offering Summer Meals: Bartholomew District Park, Davis White Northeast District Park, James A. Garrison District Park, and Walnut Creek Metropolitan Park.