Traffic Light

Transportation and Public Works Services

The following are services provided by the City of Austin Transportation and Public Works Department.


A chauffeur permit allows a person to drive a vehicle-for-hire, like a taxi cab or a shuttle bus. Learn how to apply for and renew a chauffeur permit in Austin.
The City of Austin regulates booting within City limits. Apply for a vehicle immobilization service license to allow your company to boot vehicles that violate parking regulations.
Operating authority licenses cover all vehicle-for-hire services. A vehicle for hire is a vehicle providing private transport or shared transport for a fee, in which passengers are generally free to choose where they start and where they are going (not including rideshares). Learn how to apply for, renew, or update an operating authority license.

CapMetro provides bus, rail and paratransit service throughout Austin. For information on schedules and locations, please visit them online at

View the Parking Division services to find information about valet parking, chauffeur permits, limousine and taxicab permits and ground transportation services.

PHBs are pedestrian activated warning devices. The beacon consists of two red lights above a single yellow light. The beacon head is "dark" or unlit until a pedestrian activates the device.

Ground transportation includes all vehicle-for-hire services such as taxi, pedicab, shuttle service, limousine service, charter service, electric low-speed vehicles, group cycle, horse-drawn carriage, and touring/sightseeing companies. You can report an issue online or by email.

Services offered by the Right of Way Management Division include Permitting, DAPCZ Project Coordination, Traffic Control Plan/Review, Utility Coordination, Safety and Mobility in the ROW, and Code Compliance.  

Notice a sidewalk in need of repair? Would you like to request that a new sidewalk be added in your area? The Public Works Department is here to help keep our city safe for pedestrians and would like your input. Contact 3-1-1 for details.

Community groups and event organizers use street banners as a cost-effective, high-impact, place-based tool for engaging the public, promoting events, raising awareness, and communicating key messages.

A request to change the name of a dedicated street within the City of Austin full purpose jurisdiction can be initiated by a City Council member, city department, or by a property owner with property abutting the street to be renamed.  The street name change process involves submittal of an application, payment of a non-refundable processing fee, property owner and governmental entity notifications, and approval from the Austin City Council in the form of an ordinance.

Did you recently swerve to avoid a pothole? Have you noticed a street in need of maintenance? Contact 3-1-1 to report the issue, and the Public Works Department will take care of it.

The Austin Transportation Department is one of several governmental departments and agencies responsible for building, maintaining, and planning transportation in Austin. Here is a list of our partners and a little bit about what they do.

The State of Texas allows municipalities to regulate booting, as long as local regulations meet certain minimum requirements.

Apply for a booting service license

Find additional information at these links: