If you are operating a business and would like to place a temporary seating area or other activities on the sidewalk or parking spaces in front of your building, this is the permit you will need. Eligible businesses include retail stores or property associated with a cocktail lounge, restaurant or food sales use. Read "Sidewalk Café Considerations" for a list of specific types of work.

Sidewalk Cafe Application Fees Sidewalk Cafe Handbook
Street Patio Handbook Contacts Checklist - coming soon!

What do I need to know before applying for my Sidewalk Cafe Permit?

  • You must provide the following documents:
    • Fully completed application
    • Insurance
      • For sidewalk cafes where alcohol will be served, the business must also provide liquor liability insurance set at $1,000,000
    • Provide proof of property ownership (warranty deed or deed of trust)
    • Fee Title Owner of the Real Property Authorization Form (see application)
    • Adjacent Property Owner/Tenant Contact Information (see application)
      • Applies to the ground-floor retail businesses on either side of your business
    • Copy of TABC permit (for businesses where alcohol will be served)
    • Construction documents. These must include:
      • Location and context plan
      • Detailed site plan drawn to scale, or showing dimensions of furnishings to the back of curb, door opening, property lines, and existing utility openings such as valves, manhole lids, hydrants, etc. (provide utility name or type if known)
      • Elevations, construction details, detailed fencing plan (if serving alcohol)
      • Detailed description and photos of all items to be placed in the right of way (e.g. material type, dimensions)
    • Three photographs (prior to café installation):
      • One photo from across the street
      • One photo from each end of the proposed Sidewalk Café/Street Patio
    • Historic and Landmark Districts Approval, if applicable:
      • Go to the Zoning layers section of the Property Profile tool, select "Historical" drop down
      • Send the drawing of the proposed site plan and photo of the existing site to the Historic Preservation Office Preservation@AustinTexas.gov
    • Walk of Stars Association Approval, if located in the following corridors:
      • 6th Street from IH-35 to Congress Avenue
      • Trinity Street from Cesar Chavez Street to 6th Street
      • Send the drawing of the proposed site plan and photo of the existing site to Bob Woody, President of the Walk of Stars Association, bobewoody@gmail.com, 512-658-2491
  • If the above requirements have been met, ROW will:
    • Notify adjacent businesses
    • Coordinate a review of the construction documents with the Area Transportation Engineer, Utility Coordination Associates, and Urban Design Reviewers. Points that will be reviewed include:
      • Vehicular and pedestrian traffic
      • ADA clearances
      • Utility locations
      • Street design standards
  • Allow up to 30 days for review and approval of the construction documents
  • Pay the annual fees
    • Permit may be obtained for a duration of one up to five years


How do I apply for a Sidewalk Cafe Permit?

Read "How to Apply for Permits on the ABC Website." Log in to ABC to apply for the permit:

  • Select "Apply for Right of Way Permits / Special Events" from the menu on the left side of the screen, then select "Public Space Management" to view application options
  • Description: Who, What, When, Where, Why, How
    • Example: Restaurant requests sidewalk space in front of the business and two adjacent parking spaces (Pay station number PS1111).  It will include 22 chairs, 22 tables, 30 planters and 11 benches.
  • Attach the fully completed and notarized Sidewalk Cafe Application
  • Meter numbers you’ll be occupying.  Contact the meter shop with Active permit to remove the spaces from their inventory.


How do I renew my Sidewalk Cafe Permit?

Apply for renewal via SmartSheet. Provide the following: