For information about Coronavirus (COVID-19) click here.
Please visit for the latest resources and funding opportunities.

    Events in Austin

      Bringing Events Back: Austin-Travis County COVID-19 Safety Guide for Venues & Special Events
      The City of Austin has launched new guidelines to enable events to begin reopening safely.

      Austin Center for Events (ACE)
      Oversees permitting and planning for special events and festivals:

      Amplified Sound

      Outdoor Music Venue Permits
      Issued to outdoor live music venues for amplified sound:

      • Apply for an OMV Permit click here.
      • Applicant Prepared Notice Agreement click here.
      • Contact Brian Block in the City of Austin Development Services Department for information on permit requirements and application.

      Outdoor Amplified Music in Residential Neighborhoods

      • OMV Permits may not be issued for the use of sound equipment located within 100 feet of property zoned and used as "residential".
      • Amplified sound without a permit is only allowed in residential areas 10am to 10pm CST and up to 75 decibels.

      Noise OrdinanceChapter 9-2: Noise and Amplified Sound

      Film & Media Production

      Street Performance

      Street performing (a.k.a. "busking") is legal in Austin and does not require a permit unless you are performing in a City park. Please obey the following City Code requirements and best practices:

      • Acoustic performances only, with sound at 85 decibels or under - NO amplification allowed.
      • Don’t block sidewalks.
      • Noise or music cannot be audible to a nearby business or residence after 10:30 PM CST.
      • Always cooperate with Austin Police requests.
      • Safety first! Make sure you’re performing where people can safely gather without danger of stepping into a roadway.
      • Performing Artists in the Parks Permits: Performing artists are allowed to entertain in the parks provided they are registered with and approved by the Parks and Recreation Department.  The permit fee for performing artists is $10 per day, and permits may be purchased in two-week increments. Please call 512-974-6797 for information.

      State of Texas Regulations & Tax Requirements for Venues / Special Events

      Music & Entertainment Services

      Serves as an ombudsman and resource for creatives and creative businesses about City operating, permitting, and code enforcement requirements, and acts as a liaison for these groups to other City Departments. Contact Kim McCarson for details:

      • Amplified Sound & Film Permits
        • Connects music, special event, and film producers to City departments and other agencies for permits in Austin.
      • Live Music & Entertainment Venues
        • Convenes venue operators to inform these stakeholders about new and updated policies and rules, as well as to gather feedback.
        • Connects venues that may require permits with other City departments.
        • Coordinates engagement between venues and other stakeholders to find equitable solutions and compromises for amplified sound compatibility.
      • Community Engagement