If you have questions about incentives or funding resources for filmmakers, please contact Kyle Brandon, Program Manager.
Creative Content Incentive Program
The City of Austin offers incentives to qualifying film, television, video game, and visual effects projects equal to 0.50% of wages paid to local workers. Projects produced by an Austin-based company or which significantly promote Austin may be eligible for an additional 0.25% incentive for a total incentive of 0.75%.
- Please view the Program Guidelines for complete eligibility information.
- Download the Project Information Form. Project Information Forms must be submitted at least 30 days prior to the first day of production.
- Pay the CCIP Administrative Fee ($50) online. Only pay this fee if you will be submitting a Project Information Form. If a project is not approved, 50% of the fee will be refunded.
For questions regarding this program, please contact Kyle Brandon, Program Manager.
City Permit and Fee Waivers
The City of Austin offers permit and fee waivers for filming. For more information, contact 311 or 512-974-2000.
Texas Moving Image Industry Incentive Program
The Texas Moving Image Industry Incentive Program offers qualifying feature films, television programs, commercials, video games, and visual effects projects the opportunity to receive a payment of 5-22.5% of eligible Texas spending upon completion of a review of their Texas expenditures.
Tax Exemptions & Refunds
Texas also offers:
- Up-front Sales Tax Exemptions on most items rented or purchased for direct use in production;
- Refunds of the 6% State Occupancy Tax on hotel rooms occupied for more than 30 consecutive days;
- Refunds on Fuel Tax paid on fuel used off-road.
Visit the Texas Film Commission website for more information.
Cultural Funding Programs
The City of Austin has programs to help individuals and non-profits with arts and cultural projects and activities through the Cultural Funding Programs. These programs have provided millions of dollars in funding to individuals and nonprofits, including those involved in film and visual media. For details of how this program works, please visit the Cultural Funding Programs website. Please contact Jesus Pantel, 512-974-7854, with any questions.
Austin Film Society Grants
The Austin Film Society awards grants to emerging film and video artists in the state of Texas through the AFS Grant Program. Since 1996, $1.25 million in cash and $141,790 in goods and services to over 370 projects. In addition to grants for production, post-production and distribution, we provide cash stipends to Texas filmmakers traveling to prestigious film festivals through its AFS Travel Grant program.