Several departments in the City of Austin work with businesses and residents on permitting processes for a variety of needs. Please see below to learn more and contact information for the appropriate department.
- Amplified Sound for Music
Outdoor Music Venue Permits
Contact Brian Block in the City of Austin Development Services Department for information on permit requirements and application.
- Issued to outdoor live music venues for amplified sound.
- Apply for an OMV Permit, click here.
- Applicant Prepared Notice Agreement, click here.
Outdoor Amplified Music in Residential Neighborhoods
- Outdoor Music Venue Permits may not be issued for the use of sound equipment located within 100 feet of property zoned and used as "residential".
- Amplified sound without a permit is only allowed in residential areas 10am to 10pm CST and up to 75 decibels.
Noise Ordinance: Chapter 9-2: Noise and Amplified Sound
- Film Production in Austin
To learn more about filming in Austin, visit Film Production in Austin - Getting Started:
- Creative Space Assistance
Creative Space Assistance Program
- The Creative Space Assistance Program supports creative organizations facing temporary or permanent displacement or new commercial leases at higher and unaffordable rates.
- Provides information about the development process.
- Offers a single point of contact for the duration of your project.
- Connects you with the right resources every step of the way.
- Contact the Development Process Team at (512) 974-1040 or DevelopmentProcessTeam@austintexas.gov
Heritage Tourism Division
- The Heritage Tourism Division provides funding for preservation, restoration, and rehabilitation of historic buildings, sites, and districts.
- Souly Austin provides neighborhood business district development assistance and support.
Austin Cultural Trust
- The Austin Cultural Trust supports acquisition and preservation of arts, cultural, and music spaces within Austin.
- Special Event Permits
Austin Center for Events (ACE)
Oversees permitting and planning for special events and festivals:
- Street Performing / Busking
Street performing (a.k.a. "busking") is legal in Austin and does not require a permit unless you are performing in a City park. Please obey the following City Code requirements and best practices:
- Acoustic performances only, with sound at 85 decibels or under - NO amplification allowed
- Don’t block sidewalks
- Noise or music cannot be audible to a nearby business or residence after 10:30 PM CST
- Always cooperate with Austin Police requests
- Safety first! Make sure you’re performing where people can safely gather without danger of stepping into a roadway
- Performing artists are allowed to entertain in the parks provided they are registered with and approved by the Parks and Recreation Department. The permit fee for performing artists is $10 per day, and permits may be purchased in two-week increments. Contact 512-974-6797 for information.
- State of Texas Regulations & Tax Requirements for Venues / Special Events