At the Dougherty Arts Center (DAC), we offer a variety of ways for individuals or organizations who are passionate about the arts to get involved.
Work for the City of Austin Parks and Recreation Department and Museums and Cultural Programs Division. Schedule and hours vary depending on position and program. Pay rates start at $20 per hour.
- Youth Arts Programs
Share your love of the arts with the future of Austin! Experience with youth, teaching, or arts is preferred.
Saturday Youth Studio, Spring 2023
Specialized Arts Class Rotation for Ages 5 to 14.
- Students grouped by age: 5-7, 8-10, 11-14.
- Occurs on Saturdays from January through May (skip March) at the Dougherty Arts Center.
- Instructor shifts run from 9:30am to 2:30pm, totaling 5 hours per week.
- Paid training and lesson planning time will be provided.
- For more information, visit the Saturday Youth Studio website.
- Ceramics Teaching Artist
Hand Building & Wheel Throwing Techniques
- Printmaking Teaching Artist
Relief & Serigraphy (Screen Printing)
- Performing Arts Teaching Artist
Theatre, Puppetry, Improv, Movement, etc.
Art in Cahoots, Spring 2023
Instructor-led sensory arts activities for pre-k students aged 2½ to 5 with an accompanying adult caregiver.
- Held twice a month, variable days and times.
- Will require travel to various locations throughout the Austin area, candidate must have reliable mode of transportation for supplies and self.
- Paid training, lesson planning, preparation, and clean up time will be provided.
- Familiarity and experience with developing early childhood age-appropriate content is preferred.
- For more information, visit the Art in Cahoots website.
- Early Childhood Activity Leader
All Youth Programs, Multi-Season
- Supervise, assist, and lead activities with youth ages 5 and up.
- Other duties as assigned by Supervisor and Team Leads.
- Various dates and times, as needed.
- Activity Specialist
For all Youth Arts Program positions, review and apply online at austincityjobs.org - Cultural Arts Activity Specialist/Leader.
Questions? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Teen Internships
Works in Progress (WIP) is an immersive program that prepares teens living in the Austin metropolitan area for careers in the arts. WIP Interns will focus on projects throughout the Dougherty Arts Center in art education, gallery exhibits, and event planning.
For more information, visit the Works in Progress website.
WIP is an Internal City Pathway with Austin Civilian Conservation Corps.
Visual Artist Residency
The Visual Artist Residency is a work exchange program that offers an immersive professional development experience to emerging and established artists. Residents enjoy an exceptional 1,400 square foot ceramics studio with a stunning view of downtown Austin in exchange for creating outreach opportunities and monitoring DAC students during independent study, glaze days, and open studio hours. This program is wonderful for artists who need space to develop their experience in a professional studio setting. For more information visit our Visual Artist Residency page.
The 23rd Street Artists' Market is Austin's original open-air artists' market for artists to make and sell their own work. Licensed artists sell their handcrafted art year round, 7 days a week. The Dougherty Arts Center hosts membership meetings of the 23rd Street Artists' Market on the third Wednesday of each month. Thanks to a City Council initiative, Market Permits applied for between October 2022 and September 2023 will be free! Attend an upcoming meeting, to learn more about getting involved with Austin's original outdoor market for handmade crafts.
Visit the 23rd Street Artists' Market on Facebook.
For more information, contact DACInfo@austintexas.gov.
- Monthly Meeting Dates
- Wednesday, November 16, 2022 7-9pm
- Wednesday, December 14, 2022 7-9pm
- Wednesday, January 18, 2023 7-9pm
- Wednesday, February 15, 2023 7-9pm
- Wednesday, March 15, 2023 7-9pm
- Wednesday, April 19, 2023 7-9pm
- Wednesday, May 17, 2023 7-9pm
- Wednesday, June 21, 2023 7-9pm
- Wednesday, July 19, 2023 7-9pm
- Wednesday, August 16, 2023 7-9pm
- Wednesday, September 20, 2023 7-9pm
- Meeting Flier