If you are performing any kind of above ground construction (such as building repairs) and need to close or barricade a portion of the right of way, this is the permit you will need. Read "TURP Considerations" for a list of specific types of work.

I have a question about ...

Insurance, Bond, License Fees ROW Conflict Resolution
Traffic Control Contacts Checklist - coming soon!

What do I need to know before applying for my TURP?

  • ROW usage fees are based on your active work area dimensions: length x width, in feet.  You may use the fee calculator on our Mobility Guidelines webpage to calculate your project fees.  This calculator already includes the four percent technology surcharge.  Be aware that our fees are subject to change each new fiscal year on October 1st.
  • If the project is affiliated with a Site Plan (SP), Small Cell Permit, or is long-term in nature and lies within the Downtown Austin Project Coordination Zone (DAPCZ) then it may be necessary to obtain DAPCZ approval.
  • For City Entities and Franchised Utilities, permits are typically issued for a maximum of 1 month inside the downtown area and 2 months outside of the downtown area.
  • Bond and Insurance are required to obtain a TURP. 
  • Subcontractors who will impact the right of way must be named on the permit and must also provide Bond and Insurance.


How do I apply for a TURP?

Read “How to Apply for Permits on the ABC Website”.  Log in to ABC to apply for the permit:

  • Select "Apply for Right of Way Permits / Special Events" from the menu on the left side of the screen, then select "Right of Way" to view application options
  • Description: Who, What, When, Where, Why, How
    • Example: ABC Contractors will replace an HVAC system on the roof of 505 Barton Springs Rd on 01/01/01. The crane company performing the work will be Cranes R Us. The crane will work on Haywood Ave closing the sidewalk, parking lane and two travel lanes.  The mobile crane dimensions with outriggers fully extended are 40ft x 18ft.  
  • Active work area dimensions ONLY; do not include dimensions of your traffic control setup (e.g. cones, advance warning signage) (L x W, in feet).
  • Number of work vehicles, including dimensions (L x W, in feet) and/or crews working at one time
  • A map or image of exact work locations or route
  • Meter numbers you’ll be occupying.  Contact the meter shop with Active permit to reserve the spaces.


How do I extend and/or revise my TURP permit?

Apply for extension and/or revision via the Extension and Revision Request form.  Provide the following:

  • Extension: provide a detailed explanation of why you need more time to complete your work and the date you’d like it extended through
  • Revision: provide a detailed explanation of the changes you intend to make and the date you’d like the revision to take effect
    • Phase change, adjust traffic control plan, change workdays/times