3 | A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | L | M | N | O | P | R | S | T | U | V | W | Y
Service Online Phone Contact

Search for code complaint cases

Citizen Connect is a new online tool (replacing Austin Code & Permit Tracker) which allows searches of complaint cases by address, case number or various region filters.

Code Compliance

Share your ideas online about improving Austin

Bring your valued voice to the table about a number of topics and initiatives.

3-1-1 Austin 3-1-1

Short-Term Rental License Program

Owners of Short-Term Rentals (STRs) are required to obtain an operating license annually (Ordinance No. 20160223-A.l). This law applies to all properties (including rooms and guest houses) rented for less than 30 consecutive days.

Code Compliance

Sidewalk Cafes and Street Patios

Sidewalk cafés add vibrancy, amenities, and people to Austin streets. They support local businesses, create a sense of place in neighborhoods and business districts, beautify the streetscape, and create walkable destinations for residents.

Cover of sidewalk cafe handbook showing people sitting at a sidewalk cafe.     Street patio handbook cover showing people sitting and standing at a street patio.

Sidewalk cafes may be operated by restaurants or other businesses that are licensed to serve food and beverages, including alcohol. The cafe space is privately managed by the business, open for use only by its customers, and separated off with barriers. Table service may be provided.

A street patio (a.k.a. “parklet”) is a sidewalk café created in street space formerly devoted to parking. It is permitted as a type of sidewalk café. By converting street space to a use that serves people, street patios can help make cities more welcoming and people-friendly. Austin City Council Resolution No. 20120322-067 directed the creation of the street patio program.

Obtaining a Permit

A Temporary Sidewalk Café Permit from ATD’s Right of Way Division allows the creation of a temporary sidewalk café and/or street patio. The permit is good for up to five years; it is significantly more affordable than the license agreement required for a permanent sidewalk café.  Before applying for a permit, please read in full the City of Austin Sidewalk Café Handbook and/or the Street Patio Handbook, which include helpful design guidance.  Please also read in full the application form and additional related documents below.

Permit Application

When you are ready to submit your application, please schedule an appointment with Right of Way staff in advance by calling 512-974-7828. It is suggested that you allot 30 minutes to one hour for review and discussion.

Please review the permit process flowchart in the appropriate handbook for application preparation and submission details.

To apply for a Temporary Sidewalk Café Permit, which applies to both sidewalk cafes and street patio structures, please download, complete and submit the Temporary Sidewalk Café Permit Application (see application for submission instructions).

Process Overview:

  • Duration: Permit may be obtained for one to five years.
  • Process: Streamlined and simpler permit approval process.
  • Reviewing Department: Austin Transportation Department, Right of Way Management Division. Note that additional departments may be included, depending on the design complexity, proposed café furniture and elements, and/or proximity to utility infrastructure.
  • Installation: To be temporary, the café structure must include removable barriers that are affixed to the sidewalk with no more than one bolt in each corner of the café space, with a four bolt maximum.
  • Fees: $510 application fee and $220 (for sidewalk cafes) or $2,200 (for each parking space in a Street Patio) annual permit fee(s).

All sidewalk cafes installed on a City-owned sidewalk, or other areas of the public right of way, require either a sidewalk café permit or a license agreement from the City.  An outdoor café sited entirely on private property does not require a Right of Way permit or a license agreement.

Sidewalk Cafés and Street Patios are not permanent structures; they are a temporary use of the public Right of Way permitted as a type of sidewalk café under the City of Austin Land Development Code Chapter 14-4, Sidewalk Cafes. Please see the City of Austin’s Sidewalk Café Ordinance.

Additional Documents

512-974-1150 Transportation

Sidewalk Repair

Notice a sidewalk in need of repair? Would you like to request that a new sidewalk be added in your area? The Public Works Department is here to help keep our city safe for pedestrians and would like your input. Contact 3-1-1 for details.

3-1-1 Public Works

Sign Up for the Music & Entertainment Division Newsletter!

The Music & Entertainment Division Newsletter brings you important Division and Austin music news each month.

974-7849 Economic Growth

Sign up for Tuning Up construction update

311 Airport

Small Cell Permitting

Small Cell facilities are low-powered antennas that provide cellular and data coverage to smaller geographic areas, supplementing the larger cellular network and improving service for wireless customers.

Austin 3-1-1

SMBR Outreach

Outreach facilitates department communications regarding services, key initiatives, and special notices. 

See SMBR Outreach programs.

512-974-7677 Small and Minority Business

Smoking Violations

Smoking in public places is prohibited in Austin.  To report violations, call 3-1-1 or complete the Smoking in Public Places Online Complaint Form.  Reports can be made anonymously.

3-1-1 Health

Social services at neighborhood centers

The Neighborhood Centers can help low- and moderate-income families in need with free services, including food assistance, job search help, health screenings, fans, and more.

512-972-5000 Health

Special Event Temporary Ground Transportation Permit - CHARTER BUS

To add temporary, additional vehicles to an already existing/permitted charter bus fleet to operate during a special event in Austin, you will need one of these permits. The City Code limits the additional vehicles to 100% of the already exiting/permitted fleet. Click here to download the application

512-974-1551 Austin 3-1-1

Spill Response

Staff in the Spill Response Program respond to citizen pollution complaints and spills that threaten our creeks or water bodies, 24 hours a day, seven days a week. 512-974-2550

512-974-2550 Watershed Protection

Street Banners

Community groups and event organizers use Street Banners as a cost-effective, high-impact, place-based tool for engaging the public, promoting events, raising awareness, and communicating key messages.

311 Transportation

Street Name Changes

The street name change process involves submittal of an application, payment of a non-refundable processing fee, property owner and governmental entity notifications, and approval from the Austin City Council in the form of an ordinance.

3-1-1 Austin 3-1-1

Street Repair

Did you recently swerve to avoid a pothole? Have you noticed a street in need of maintenance? Contact 3-1-1 to report the issue, and the Public Works Department will take care of it.

3-1-1 Public Works

Submit an IPM Plan

Developers If an IPM plan is required, developers should be informed during the development review process. It is then their responsibility to submit, and comply with, a plan. If the land is then sold, it is their responsibility to communicate the need for the new land owner to abide by the plan.

Homeowners If you own an individual parcel of land that requires a site plan review and no developer or previous owner has submitted an IPM plan, then it is your responsibility to do so.

512-974-2581 Watershed Protection

Swimming Lessons and Instruction

Swim lessons are available for students ages 6 months to adult. Lifeguard training classes are available for persons 15 years of age and older, while water safety instructor training classes are available for persons 16 years of age or older who wish to apply to work for the Aquatic Division.

Contact the Aquatics Office at 512-974-9330 for more information.

512-974-9331 Parks and Recreation

Swimming Pool or Spa Inspections

Public and semi-public pools and spas must be inspected and issued a permit. Complete a Permit and Plan Review Application or call 512-978-0300 for more information.

512-978-0300 Health