We Are Ready To Serve You.
Following the March 24, 2020, Order by the City of Austin and Travis County to “Stay Home, Work Safe”, we have discontinued all in-person customer services at the One Texas Center facility. Most of our services are available by phone, video conference, email, and our online portal, Austin Build + Connect (AB+C). For information on our modified services, please visit our DSD-COVID-19 page.
Accessory Dwelling Units
At the November 19, 2015 Council meeting, the Council approved the following changes to the ADU regulations:
- Reduce minimum lot size for ADUs on SF-3 zoned lots to 5,750 square feet.
- Set the maximum size of an ADU to 1,100 square feet or 0.15 FAR whichever is smaller
- Reduce building separation to 10 feet (front to back and side to side).
- Eliminate requirement that an entry be more than 10 feet from a property line.
- Remove driveway requirement
- Provide one parking space for the ADU in addition to main structure parking.
- Eliminate parking requirement for ADU within 1/4 mile of an activity corridor as identified in the Imagine Austin Comprehensive Plan that is also served by transit
- Limit use as short-term rental to a maximum of 30 days per year for ADUs constructed after October 1, 2015.
- Prohibit use as a Type 2 short term rental.
Send your questions to ResidentialReview@austintexas.gov.