Accessory Dwelling Units
An Accessory Dwelling Unit (ADU) is a separate dwelling unit on the same property as a single-family home that is smaller in size and regulated by the City of Austin’s Land Development Code § 25-2-774 Two-Family Residential Use. Some of the requirements for ADUs in the City of Austin are as follows:
- Minimum lot size for ADUs on SF-3 zoned lots is 5,750 square feet.
- Maximum size of an ADU is 1,100 square feet or 0.15 FAR whichever is smaller.
- Buildings must be separated by a minimum of 10 feet (front to back and side to side).
- One parking space must be provided for the ADU in addition to the main structure parking.
- Use as a short-term rental is limited to a maximum of 30 days per year for ADUs constructed after October 1, 2015.
- Use as a Type 2 short term rental is prohibited.
For general questions, schedule a virtual or in-person appointment with the Development Services Department.