Free Irrigation System Evaluation
You may schedule a Free Irrigation System Evaluation by a licensed irrigator from Austin Water if you:
- Are a residential customer of Austin Water or a qualifying water provider;
- Have an in-ground sprinkler system;
- Have used more than 25,000 gallons in one month or more than 20,000 gallons in two consecutive months;
- Have submitted your request not later than 60 days from the last day of the qualifying month(s); and
- Have not previously had a free evaluation system at your property.
Schedule an Evaluation
To schedule, please email or call 512-974-2199 with the following information:
- Your name, phone number, and the address where you are requesting the evaluation;
- The number of irrigation system zones/stations;
- Make and model of your irrigation system controller;
- The name of your irrigation company, if applicable, and whether the condition or operation of the irrigation system or controller has changed since the qualifying month(s); and
- Any other information that might be helpful in the evaluation of the system and scheduling the appointment.
What is included
Evaluations generally include:
- Documenting current controller settings, taking a meter reading, and checking for leaks
- Running stations to determine flow rate and quantifying water used by the current schedule
- Noting opportunities for system improvements and equipment upgrades, the city's watering schedule and water use requirements, irrigation efficiency and controller setting workshops, rainwater harvesting and landscape transformation opportunities (rebates may be available)
- Reviewing evaluation results, controller functions/settings, and water schedule recommendations with the customer
- Setting controller to recommended settings
Free evaluations are subject to staff availability and are offered on a first come, first served basis. If you do not qualify or are otherwise unable to obtain a free evaluation within the desired timeframe, you should contact your licensed irrigator to perform the evaluation. Remember, the repair, proper maintenance and operation of the irrigation system in compliance with the city’s watering schedules and water waste prohibitions are the responsibility of the customer or home owner.
If you would like to attend a free workshop on efficient irrigation practices and the proper setting of your irrigation controller, visit www.waterwiseaustin.org for available times and locations. Austin Water also offers rebates to upgrade the efficiency of your irrigation system or transform your landscape to more water efficient native plants.