The Development Services Department issues many types of permits for the City. Below is a brief summary of these permits and links to more information about each. 

Residential & Commercial Building Permits 

Building permits for new construction, remodel, demolition or relocation require review and approval by Building Plan Review. Building plans will be checked for compliance with the Land Development Code and Technical Codes (Building, Mechanical, Electrical, Plumbing, Fire, Energy). Approval by Building Plan Review is required before a building permit will be issued.


Contractor and Trade Permits

Mechanical, Electrical, Plumbing, Irrigation, and Fireline.


Land Development Permits

Permits for land use, site plans, subdivisions, general permit utilities, hazardous materials, underground storage, Barton Springs Operating Zone.


Tree Permits

The City Arborist Program is responsible for issuing tree permits to remove or construct within close proximity of a protected or heritage tree for residential & commercial properties. These regulations are designed to achieve a balance of re-forestation and preservation to achieve the best long-term benefit for the community.


Business-Related Permits

Alcoholic beverage, Board of Adjustments, signs, outdoor advertising, outdoor music, mobile retail, temporary events and use.


For more information, visit our Services page, or contact 3-1-1.