The City of Austin Development Services Department issues various permits, such as building permits, land use permits, special event permits, temporary use permits, and business-related permits. Below is a summary of these types of permits and links to more information about each. For a list of work that does not require a permit, visit Work Exempt from Permits.


Building Permits

Commercial Building Permits

Building permits for new construction and remodels of commercial and multi-family buildings. The project's scope will determine what type of review may be required before a permit may be issued.


Residential Building Permits

Building permits for new construction, additions, or interior remodeling of single-family, duplex, two-family houses, and accessory dwelling buildings on one lot. The project's scope will determine what type of review may be required before a permit may be issued. 


Expedited Building Plan Review (Residential and Commercial)

The Expedited Building Plan Review program is a premium service that accelerates the building plan review and permit process by holding a single review session with a full team of experienced plan reviewers and the applicant’s design team.


Standalone Building and Trade Permits 

The Service Center issues various standalone building permits and trade permits (electrical, mechanical, plumbing).


Demolition / Relocation Permits

For permits involving demolition and/or relocation; also information on the new Demolition Notification Tool for tracking demolition applications.



Land Development-Related Permits

General Permit Program (for City of Austin partner departments or private franchise utilities)

The General Permit Program is a specific site development review, permitting, and inspection process for City of Austin Departments and Franchised Utilities. General Permits allow infrastructure improvements, maintenance, and new installations on City of Austin-owned property or within easements dedicated to the City of Austin. 


Hazardous Materials Storage Permit 

Hazardous Materials Storage Permit is required for specific Underground Storage Tank (UST) Facilities.


Small Cell Permits

Small Cell facilities are low-powered antennas that provide cellular and data coverage to smaller geographic areas, supplementing the larger cellular network and improving service for wireless customers.


Tree Permits

The City Arborist Program is responsible for issuing tree permits to remove or construct within proximity of a protected or heritage tree for residential & commercial properties. These regulations are designed to balance re-forestation and preservation to achieve the best long-term benefit for the community.


Underground Storage Tank Construction Permit

New construction, remodeling, repairs, removal, or closure of an underground storage tank may require an Underground Storage Tank (UST) Construction Permit. Visit Environmental Inspections to learn more.



Other Permits

Alarm System Permits

The Alarm Administration Division administers the City of Austin’s Alarm Ordinance, issues alarm permits, and strives to improve public safety through education and awareness initiatives to eliminate false alarms.


Concrete Installation Permit (Non-Peak Hours)

In the City of Austin, installing concrete within 600 feet* of a residence, church, hospital, hotel, or motel is not allowed between 7:00 p.m. and 6:00 a.m. unless a permit is issued as authorized under Section 9-2-21 (Permit for Concrete Installation During Non-Peak Hour Periods). 


Mobile Retail Establishment Permit

Permits for mobile retail establishments which sell non-food items and services to customers from a movable vehicle or trailer that routinely changes locations.


Parking Lot Patio Permit

Austin City Council has authorized a new program allowing businesses to create a seating or retail area in owned or leased parking lots through the Parking Lot Patio Permit. Applicants interested in repurposing parking spots must apply for a permit through the Development Services Department and be inspected by the Austin Fire Department.


Sign Permit

The City of Austin requires a Sign Permit for outdoor signage as stated in the Land Development Code


Special Event Permits

The Austin Center for Events (ACE) assists event organizers through the City permitting process by providing requirements and guidelines necessary to produce a special event in the City of Austin.